This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Spelling not working on Libreoffice 3.3

I am currently using RC3 of Libreoffice and as for RC2 all the words in the text are underlined by a wavy red line. No spelling options are given other than adding the word to the dictionary. The only way to remove this is to select Tools>Language>For all Text>None (Do not check spelling). Not a satisfactory solution to this problem as I am prone to misspell.

From memory, when I installed RC1 by downloading the deb file, I did not have this problem. My current suspicion is that something is amiss in the packaging.

If you do not have this problem with the files from http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu, please let me know. Alternately, if you know the solution to this problem, I would like to know as well.

================================================== ========

I found that by renaming the directory .libreoffice so that it was no longer used by libreoffice, that the spelling worked when I opened a file with libreoffice. What I have found is that the file standard.dic that was created in the new ~/.libreoffice/3/user/wordbook is a text file. In openoffice this file is a binary file and I think that this is the reason for my problem as the previous standard.dic file used by libreoffice was a binary flle.

Re: Spelling not working on Libreoffice 3.3

Assuming you use English-US, ensure that you have installed:

aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common hunspell-en-us myspell-en-us

Easiest way is just to attempt to install them with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common hunspell-en-us myspell-en-us
    Any not installed will be identified for installation.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did what you suggested and I think the output might give some indication of my problem. Here is what I got:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common hunspell-en-us myspell-en-us
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree    
      Reading state information... Done
      aspell is already the newest version.
      aspell-en is already the newest version.
      aspell-en set to manually installed.
      dictionaries-common is already the newest version.
      dictionaries-common set to manually installed.
      hunspell-en-us is already the newest version.
      hunspell-en-us set to manually installed.
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable                                                   
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created                                                   
      or been moved out of Incoming.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
       hunspell-en-us : Conflicts: myspell-en-us but 1:3.2.1-2ubuntu1 is to be installed
      E: Broken packages
      I found it interesting that while I have hunspell-en-us installed, I do not have myspell-en-us installed. I hope this helps find the solution.

Comment

Did you have OpenOffice installed prior to installing LibreOffice? From what I read, installing LibreOffice uninstalls OpenOffice. hunspell-en-us appears to be part of/left over from OpenOffice. Assuming that OpenOffice isn't installed on your system, I would uninstall/remove hunspell-en-us:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge --simulate hunspell-en-us
        (simulating the removal so you can see what else might get removed)
        If nothing untoward is identified for removal, then do the deed with:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge hunspell-en-us
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well this is getting more interesting. I did remove Openoffice before installing Libreoffice with the command:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get purge "openoffice*.*"
          When I initially installed Libreoffice rc3 from the ppa, not all packages were available. Later I found all the packages at the ppa. To ensure nothing was amiss I also removed Libreoffice with the command:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get purge "libreoffice*.*"
          I then installed all the packages with the command:
          Code:
          apt-get install libreoffice
          The command that you suggested to simulate hunspell gives:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove --purge --simulate hunspell-en-us
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree    
          Reading state information... Done
          Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
          requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
          distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
          or been moved out of Incoming.
          The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
           ure : Breaks: openoffice.org-core (< 1:3.3~) but 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1 is to be installed
          E: Broken packages
          I did try using synaptic to remove hunspell-en-us and it reported that libreoffice packages would need to be removed. When I tried this, I got the unmet dependencies message and it failed.

This is looking like a package problem which is unusual for a debian system. BTW I tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a" and this did not change anything.

Comment

I should add that the system which caused problems with spelling was a 64B system. I also have this networked with a 32B system which my Wife uses. I was reluctant to have her use a word processor with no spell checking, ie all words with spelling errors as on my 64B system. As it seems as though spelling should work, I grabbed the bull-by-the-horns and installed libreoffice RC4. On this 32B system spell checking works perfectly. I was interested to note that hunspell-en-us was not installed.

I then returned to my 64B system and removed libreoffice and hunspell-en-us. I then installed libreoffice and once again spell checking was US. I used Synaptic to check all installed packages using "libreoffice" and then "spell" in the quick search box. Both systems have exactly the same installed packages yet only the 32B system works with spell checking. I am using the same file over my local network to check this problem.

My conclusion is that there is something amiss with the packages for 64B systems. I would be interested to know if anyone has spelling working on their 64B system.

Comment

Working...
            X