This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Audio CD Amarock?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but how do you play and audio cd in amarock?

Re: Play Audio CD Amarock?

You don't. At least, you don't reliably. It's a sad truth, that the developers are not working on making Amarok able to recognize and load audio CD's.

"Amarok is a powerful music player for Linux and Unix, MacOS X and Windows with an intuitive interface. It makes playing the music you love and discovering new music easier than ever before - and it looks good doing it!" (from the Amarok hompage).

The above italized "you" is my emphasis, but I feel it important. I have a large(ish) collection of audio CD's - I don't collect .mp3 music files. I copy the albums/tracks from my CD's to my mp3 player. There are plenty of times that I'd like to pop in one of my CD's in my laptop and listen to the music while I'm online. I can't do that with Amarok. Instead, I've installed qmmp because it works.

I will just add, that this is my experience, ever since Amarok moved to the Version 2 series. If Amarok moves, or has moved back, to providing audio CD support that works flawlessly, I'll install and use Amarok again.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The new Amarok also doesn't have support for external devices (like SD cards or iProducts). What a bummer. I've been thinking of switching to Rhythmbox... :-X
      Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Hi (sorry for my bad english)

playing audio cd works fine with 2.2.x and 2.3.x amarok version. not with the 2.4 (for me under 2 computers).

amarok support very well ipod and ipod nano...
        regards !
        jajaX

ACER Aspire 8930G 904G50Bn under Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver (64 bits)

Comment

I have my mom running Kubuntu on her laptop and she loves it... but when she popped in an audio cd she could not figure out how to play it.

So I sat down and the best I could do was to manually tell VLC to load the audio cd and play from there. I felt really embarrassed.

I just tried it on my laptop and it works fine... the second i pop a cd in it will auto load on the local music section.

Hmm strange that vlc would work on hers but not amarok.

Comment

So after further investigation...

If I pop in a cd it will ask if I want to play it in amarok. For some reason upon fresh boot and first load it will not show the audio cd. If i close amarok and eject the cd and reload it it will load it and allow for playing.

Another thing is there is a this button for collapsing lists of media. If that is clicked it will not show the cd as a possible media to add to the playlist.

Comment

Working...
            X