This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oracle VM Virtual Box crashes

Meh -- I dunno. I'm not expert on Vbox -- I now have to use it to run my Win 7 VM on a 2.6.37 kernel because the VMware patch doesn't work for me. (or else I have to stay with 2.6.36 forever). So I picked up Vbox and gave it a try -- my genealogy hobby forces me to keep a functioning Windows OS handy. My first Vbox installation did not support USB, exactly as you described -- under Devices > USB Devices there were no choices, and it was grayed out. I googled around and discovered the "vboxusers" group issue, which is a difference from VMware. So I nuked everything I had and started over with a clean installation. First added myself to the vboxusers group, then installed the extension pack, then pulled out my Win 7 DVD and installed Windows on the VM, then let it pick up the guest additions. On the Vbox Manager panel, the USB "Device Filter" item still shows 0 filters available, 0 active, so don't waste your time on that.

Here's what I see:

[img width=400 height=293]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5131/win7vbox.png[/img]

When I click "Devices > USB Devices >" now I see the 3 connected items: keyboard, webcam, and printer. The Logitech Connect STX webcam is not recognized by name, but the PCI bus ID is correct and when I "x" the box it is connected to the VM, so it's all working correctly. This is on a Debian Sid system, KDE 4.5.3, Intel CPU, Asus motherboard -- nothing special about the hardware.

Comment

Working...
    X