This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle VM Virtual Box crashes

When I try to get to 'settings' in the vm box window the app crashes every time. No error messages, it simply just closes. If I click 'start' then it opens the vm box fine and loads my virtual OS of winblows. (I have to use it for one app - excel)

This is a new install of both maverick and the updated oracle vm box. I have also installed the extension pack and the guest additions, but I need to activate the USB 2.0 controller from settings before USB devices can be selected and accessed.

This does not happen in Ubuntu which I also run. But right now I want to try the KDE flavour and really try to decide which I prefer.

Any ideas?

Re: Oracle VM Virtual Box crashes

Which Virtualbox did you install -- from the repos, or from here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Comment

Not from repos or the wiki page, I went direct to the Oracle download pages as below. (note I am running 64bit )

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...rick_amd64.deb

Comment

That is the same version I have, also 64-bit.

When you install it, it creates a "vboxusers" group. You have to add yourself, using "usermod". Did you do that?

Comment

Umm - looking in the user management gui I think I am, but it is a little different from the user management under gnome -- can you tell me how to double check that via the command line?

Comment

Just type: groups
            It will report all the groups your user belongs to.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I am not a member of the vboxusers group. It is group id 121 how do I use 'usermod' to add myself to the group?

Comment

OK Added myself to the group using
                Code:
                sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers douglas
                and checked and I am now in the group. However the problem remains. Clicking 'settings' in the vm window' crashes it, and when I start it and go to 'usb devices' from the top menu I can see the various choices all greyed out. So I can't access my USB Stick.

Where to now?

Comment

I had that problem, and started over. Installed Vbox, set myself as a member of vboxusers, then installed extensions and guest additions, then Win7 as a VM. Doing it in that sequence, it worked.

Comment

I wil try that and see what happens. back soon

Comment

sorry I don't have any thing to suggest...........but I noticed wile reading this that I'm NOT in vboxusers nor is that a group on my system?

and Vbox seams to work just fine.

now I'm using the Virtualbox-OSE from the repos so that may be the difference but I'd like to know witch is better and why and how I should go about getting a good one if I don't have a good one

Kubuntu-10.04 KDE-4.5.3 kernel-2.6.32-27-generic x86

☢VINNY☢

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Did all that and same same. 1 improvement - if I use ctr+s the settings window opens. However in the USB section it shows that USB 2.0 is active. I even added my usb device into the filter list sepcifically, but still no joy.

I can't select any usb device once xp opens.

Comment

vinnywright I am not any expert in this but I believe that the only difference is that the Oracle one supports USB whilst the repo's version appears not to.

Having said that I am having trouble getting my USB support going. I run the Oracle version on my 10.04 Ubuntu setup under gnome and everything works fine. It just seems to be having a problem with 10.10 under KDE.

Comment

yes I dont get eney USB love hear .....nor will win7 give me any areo ? aireo? window effect's ....... think the Oracle one would ?

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Possibly - although I don't bother with any of the windows stuff, I only use it because Calc alters some of the fonts and cell settings in an excel spreadsheet, so If I have a work one, then when I save it back as an xls and open it at work their are changes which is an absolute pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X