Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skype no microphone Kubuntu 32 bit Meerkat now fixed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype no microphone Kubuntu 32 bit Meerkat now fixed!

Hi,
    No answering posts so far,
    but anyway now fixed it required removal of pulseaudio, a reboot and adjustment of the alsa controls ---digital needed the volume up from down and I also needed to use the "front microphone" and left "microphone" with volume down but on so no feedback probs, as "microphone" fed through the speakers. I also had to leave the settings left on "microphone" not "front microphone", and this was all more than a bit obscure.
    Regardz
    El Zorro 8)

using a gigabyte board with intel chipset, and intel sound, 3.0 core duo processor
    Microphone works in alsa, giving speaker output but not in skype. Skype works perfectly well in ubuntu which uses pulseaudio.
    Tried with pulseaudio, without pulseaudio, ticked capture channels
    in alsa, racked up both mikes, but not a recorded peep in skype, only sound from speakers.
    Skype works in aptosid KDE 32 after installing pulseaudio too.
    Kubuntu is based on a snapshot of Debian Sid, so what is wrong I
    wonder.
    Something was a bit too obscure for me.
    Regardz
    El Zorro

It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Skype no microphone Kubuntu 32 bit Meerkat now fixed!

I've stopped recommending removal of Pulseaudio because when I attempted to remove it on my Meerkat beta install it wanted to remove the entire KDE desktop. So, has that behavior changed? When you marked Pulseaudio for removal did it want to remove the KDE desktop components?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek
      No problems now at least in full proper Kubuntu Meerkat and it gives you a much more configurable alsa control panel with many control sliders. Pulseaudio does something invisible under the hood that stays after removal and allows you to configure alsa successfully even though the result does not appear to be totally logical, but fortunately it works.
      Cheers
      El Zorro

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      I've stopped recommending removal of Pulseaudio because when I attempted to remove it on my Meerkat beta install it wanted to remove the entire KDE desktop. So, has that behavior changed? When you marked Pulseaudio for removal did it want to remove the KDE desktop components?
      It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

As a test on my old laptop, removing pulseaudio only removes pulseaudio, plus any PA applets installed. While installing PA (on my wife's lucid laptop) actually solved a microphone/usb-headset problem, it seems obvious that some people need it, while others solve their issues in it's removal.

At least we know that removing it is not going to produce a nightmare for KDE users

Comment

You are right claydoh, for instance rolling release aptosid kde 32 needed pulseaudio installed to make skype, which certain aptosid moderators love to hate, work. If I put this post there it might be deleted out of hand.

Then pulseaudio removal gave back a better control panel with alsa, yet the benefit persisted with skype mike still working, and so it was with Kubuntu meerkat 32 also, with no side effects so far, and a far better audio control panel.
          so I guess machines behaviours vary a liitle in this mike area.
          Regardz El Zorro 8)

Originally posted by claydoh
          As a test on my old laptop, removing pulseaudio only removes pulseaudio, plus any PA applets installed. While installing PA (on my wife's lucid laptop) actually solved a microphone/usb-headset problem, it seems obvious that some people need it, while others solve their issues in it's removal.

At least we know that removing it is not going to produce a nightmare for KDE users

Comment

Working...
          X