X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail stopped sending and receiving

Hi,

Kmail stopped sending and receiving mail after updating my pc recently.

I use dimap on all mail folders.

I seem to remember this being caused by an Akonadi problem before but have checked the Akonadi log and all seems okay.

Got the following from starting kmail in a console but not sure where to start on it.

Code:
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kmail(4450) KMFolderDir::reload: Found dir without associated folder: ".1473163292.directory" , recreating the folder "1473163292" 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderIndex::updateIndexStreamPtr: utime( "/home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.1473163292.index.ids" , 0) failed (KMMsgDict::getFolderIdsLocation( *this )) 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderIndex::updateIndexStreamPtr: utime( "/home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.1473163292.index.ids" , 0) failed (KMMsgDict::getFolderIdsLocation( *this )) 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderDir::reload: Found dir without associated folder: ".856972193.directory" , recreating the folder "856972193" 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderIndex::updateIndexStreamPtr: utime( "/home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.856972193.index.ids" , 0) failed (KMMsgDict::getFolderIdsLocation( *this )) 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderIndex::updateIndexStreamPtr: utime( "/home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.856972193.index.ids" , 0) failed (KMMsgDict::getFolderIdsLocation( *this )) 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderMgr::removeFolderAux: Can not find parent folder for Last Search 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderMgr::removeFolderAux: Can not find parent folder for 1473163292 
    kmail(4450) KMFolderMgr::removeFolderAux: Can not find parent folder for 856972193 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1273081479.2185.0yvEC" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1274865862.4319.HaGFA" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1284652878.2570.Z8VGW" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1284652923.2570.NyzMB" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1286544827.2652.urcv9" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1288273356.2624.Jq7PK" 
    kmail(4450) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Unable to open autosave file "1293107779.2520.lD9Vg" 
    kmail(4450)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
    kmail(4450)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
    john@helion:~$ QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/john/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
    Any help gratefully appreciated.

John

Re: Kmail stopped sending and receiving

Check the obvious first. Under:

Settings > Configure Kmail... > Accounts > Receiving > Modify... General
    and
    Settings > Configure Kmail... > Accounts > Sending > Modify... General

are all the settings correct?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

One of the things I've been unable to do is to check these. If I go Settings > Configure Kmail... > Accounts > Receiving > Modify nothing happens, the settings dialog for the account doesn't come up on any of the mail accounts no matter how many times I click modify. But they should all be okay, I've changed nothing apart from the system update.

The status bar (far right) shows that kmail is trying to synchronise the accounts but there's no progress. It's almost as if it's hung.

After a few hours yesterday I logged out of my user and then back in to see if it would make any difference (desperation ). Kmail started working okay! But this morning I have the same problem again despite logging in and out several times.

I do seem to remember something like this happen before when there was an update to Akonadi. I've tried messing around with Akonadi but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Are changes to the system logged anywhere so I can see what packages where updated recently. This may help me track the problem down as I'm pretty certain that the system update caused this to happen.

Something else I've noticed is if I log out, a Kontact window appears during the session end, almost as if it was there in the background but for some reason hasn't been able to start in the session itself?

Edit

After logging out and in again Kmail now starts but asks for the email account passwords. It then checks mail okay. Normally this is handled by Kwallet?

Trying to save or change the passwords through Settings > Configure Kmail... > Accounts > Receiving > Modify and clicking on 'OK' does nothing. So I assume Kmail is now not talking to kWallet?

After using kmail for many years I am now beginning to despair. Any suggestions for another email client that can use dIMAP?

Edit end

John

Comment

The described behavior is not correct. Something is amiss.

It sounds like some files in your users account are either corrupt or owned by root. So, let's start by ensuring all files/directories in your users /home directory actually are owned by you. If Kmail is running, quit it. Open a console and verify that you are in your user /home directory and then type:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R user:user
        were user is your user login name.
        Exit the console and peform a system shutdown/reboot. Once logged back in to your desktop, launch KMail and see if you can modify the options.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X