This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Grub2

I'm trying to help a friend of mine who has a Kubuntu 10.10 install. The box is actually going to be used as a router with the flash image of zeroshell. What I would like to do is add the zeroshell image to the grub2 menu during boot, and make it primary.

The zeroshell image uses legacy grub. Another option would be to use the liveCD .iso image of zeroshell as well.

Any ideas how I can make this happen?

Thanks!

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: Help with Grub2

If Kubuntu is installed first, then zeroshell is installed (with its grub installed to the actual partition, NOT the MBR) , Kubuntu's grub2 should detect it when you run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Then, to choose which item to be the default boot entry in grub2, there are different options to look at HERE
    The only tricky point I can see is getting grub to boot from (assuming ) a flash drive. or an iso image

Comment

Zeroshell isn't installed as such, it's an image that is just put on the flash drive. Kubuntu sees the flash as sdb. I tried the updtae-grub earlier, and it doesn't pick up the distro. The image on the flash card has a dedicated boot partition also, if that matters.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

also, if it would matter, I can copy the files from the flash over to a partition on the hard drive.

Comment

Well, if you can set the computer to beeot from the flash drive, then you shouldn't even have to worry about grub, really. Just like any other livecd.

Comment

it's a specialized box, and the boot order is set (CD/HD/Flash), and can't be changed.

I did go ahead and install the zeroshell image to the harddrive (which creates 3 partitions), and reinstall Kubuntu, hoping that it would just pick it up, but it didn't. My guess would be that it sees the 2nd partition (sda2) as iso9660, and thinks it's a CDRom, so it doesn't look at it. I have thought about changing the partition to ext3, but that would require changing the initrd, I think, and that is beyond me right now.

mm0

Comment

Working...
            X