X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with creating a "link to application" on desktop.[Solved]

Hi,
    I am new to kubuntu and am having a bit of trouble creating a link to applications on the desktop. I can create icons simply by right clicking on a program in kmenu and selecting "add to desktop" but that is not what I need. In PCLinuxOS I was able to right click on the desktop and choose "create a link to application" and that was it......but that is not a choice on my Kubuntu desktop. I have read in another thread that you can go into dolphin and choose the home folder and scroll to the desktop folder and click..... right click there and create a new link to application but it doesn't show up on the desktop.(I can only see it in the desktop folder in dolphin)

Can someone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Penny

Re: Need help with creating a "link to application" on desktop.

Isn't the result the same (an icon/launcher on the desktop), regardless of whether you create it the PC-LOS way or the KDE 4 way? What different result are you looking for?

Comment

Hi,
      I am dual booting windows 7 and kubuntu and open some of my windows apps while in kubuntu. I have always put a link to those programs on my linux desktop for faster access. I can't just right click on those apps and make an icon cause that option is not available. I personally don't mind digging through dolphin to get to the things I need but my husband wants the icons in his face or he reboots in windows. I am just trying to make things easier for him to get to so that he can get used to linux. I really love Kubuntu and want this OS to replace Windows so I never need to reboot again.

Thanks,

Penny

Comment

OK, here's as close as I can get you, I think. This is KDE 4.5.3 -- hopefully yours is close to the same.

Left-click the "cashew" in the upper right corner of your screen, and choose "unlock widgets". (they might already be unlocked).

Now choose "Add widget". A big gaudy bar or list full of widgets will appear. Find the one called "Folder View" and double-click it. It should pop onto your screen as a semi-transparent rectangle, showing the files in your /home folder. Now close the "add widgets" bar and go back up to the cashew and "lock widgets".

On your new desktop folder, right-click in it, and on the top item "create new" there should be an item called "link to application". Try that.

Comment

WooHoo Thanks so much for the quick help. I really love this forum.

Thanks,

Penny

Comment

Re: Need help with creating a "link to application" on desktop.[Solved]

Good!

Now if we can just get your husband to break that nasty Windows habit ....

Comment

Working...
            X