Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

At times I need to operate from a non-graphical login, so at the KDM Login screen I go to a tty1 login by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. Fine. No problems. But how do I return to the KDM Login screen from there? Ctrl+Alt+F7 obviously doesn't work, as the xserver has not yet been started.

I'm sure that the answer will be obvious, and as is often the case with obvious answers, 'hidden' in plain sight. :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

Code:
    sudo service kdm start

same deal for "networking", "samba", and probably others that I don't have any trouble with.

Comment

Re: How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

No, that isn't correct - I tried that from the tty1 session. Reports that KDM is already running, which of course, it is.

I did find the answer: Alt+F7 returns me back to the KDM Login screen whence I came. Like I said, obvious answer 'hidden' in plain sight!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

Originally posted by Snowhog

Ctrl+Alt+F7 obviously doesn't work, as the xserver has not yet been started.

Bahhh -- I fell for your sleight-of-hand! OK, I was fooled.

However, if you actually logged directly in to the CLI (as from Recovery Console), then you must start the x server, and my command will do it.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How do you get back to KDM Login Screen from Ctrl+Alt+F1 login?

Originally posted by dibl
          However, if you actually logged directly in to the CLI (as from Recovery Console), then you must start the x server, and my command will do it.
          Yes, I agree - if I had started a recovery (single user) session from the Grub menu. Funny actually, as I knew that after posting the question, I would almost certainly locate the answer. And yes, I did do (some) searching here, and with friend Google, before posting the question.

Comment

Working...
          X