This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype login prompt on startup

Does anyone have any idea how to stop skype opening up when log in at first, its annoying.

thanks

Re: Skype login prompt on startup

On the lower left of the Skype window there are a list of options available under the "S". If you do not want Skype to be active, select the last option "Quit". If you always quit Skype, this allows you to start up Skype whenever you want it without having to login again. If you quit Skype before you shutdown, it will also not start Skype after KDE login.

Comment

If you uncheck the login at startup at the login prompt, the skype will not login at startup.

Also, if you go to "S" -> configure you can fine tune your settings for skype, including how it should start up at login.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi guys, I have unchecked the login at start-up option.

The problem isn’t that Skype is logging in when I start, I just want to know how to stop the login prompt pop-up box that comes up when I start my machine.

thanks

mike

Comment

Change your settings to start a new session on log-in. Or, make sure Skype isn't running and save your current session as is. Either of those should get rid of the Skype prompt at log-in.
          Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Where did Skype go?

Another login-related Skype issue: I had Skype set to start automatically, which it seemed to be doing. It showed up in the task list. But I can't find a Skype icon anywhere in my desktop to gain access to it. And if I try to start it explicitly, it tells me that there's an instance already running. Even worse, if I kill the process it doesn't really go away, but I can't restart it either. And worse than that: if I log out and log in again, my desktop is entirely blank.

So assuming Skype is running, how can I get at it? It's not in the task list on the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread with this issue, but since it's login-related, this seemed the most appropriate place to post.

Comment

That is strange. Are you sure it's running? Check using:

Code:
              ps aux | grep Skype
              Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

No icon for running instance of Skype

I did the ps test and verified that the process was running. In fact there were two related processes running: skype ahd skype-wrapper. Moreover, if I try to start skype again from the command line, I get a window with the message that an instance is already running.

My hypothesis now is that their system calls don't work with 10.10. The version they distribute is intended for Kubuntu 8.xx (don't remember the xx), aka Intrepid.

Comment

Working...
                X