This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone trying KDE 4.6 beta?

Just wondering what thoughts/impressions/issues you're having with it. Last time I tried to update to a beta of a new KDE I screwed up my system so badly I had to wipe and reinstall, so I'm waiting this time.

Re: Anyone trying KDE 4.6 beta?

Yes, so far so good, only a few hours in. I made the leap to use Amarok 2.4, but I still seem to have 2.32.

Comment

I installed it this weekend, but I had some issues. Some applications (knotify, kate, krusader, plasma, etc...) has been crashing without user interaction (usually more applications at once)...

Another major issue for me was that shares of windows user on my network appeared in dolphin, open/save file dialogs and caused them to load very slowly (illustration) And the shares also appeared in device notifier, which showed up every time somebody connected to the network ~ at least once a minute, which was very disturbing.

On the other hand, I loved the new kate documents side panel showing directory structure...

I switched to tty, removed kdm, kdebase and some other packages that removed all the kde 4.6b1, removed the beta ppa and then installed kde desktop 4.5.4 again. Fortunatelly, it works now and I will wait for the second beta

Comment

Originally posted by ubersoft
        Just wondering what thoughts/impressions/issues you're having with it. Last time I tried to update to a beta of a new KDE I screwed up my system so badly I had to wipe and reinstall, so I'm waiting this time.
        I tried it on the day it became available and reinstalled 4.5.4 a few hours later; reasons:

I have the right mouse button (click on the desktop) pop up the window list menu -- now there was an extra and unnecesseary "Windows" submenu to open first.

The "Places" panel was agonizingly slow. It was full of redundant "Places" (such as duplicate and triplicate drives) and re- and disappearing entries.

Opening some "Places" entries popped up the Device Notifier instead.

Dolphin took some 20 seconds to start.

The Akonadi self-test woes were back.

The addresses in my address book weren't displayed correctly, and Kontact crashed whenever I tried to add a new address.

Broken colour scheme previews In System Settings.

The "Computer" submenu of the classic non-fancy Application Launcher Menu had missing/extra/dysfunctional entries (problem also present in 4.5.x and earlier versions).

The "Add Widgets" widget, when appearing next to a vertical panel rather than sprawled across the screen horizontally, would not let me scroll down past the K.../L... region (problem also present in 4.5.x and earlier versions).

So that really wasn't much fun.

Comment

After upgrade to 4.6 beta1 i have problems with Konqueror, Dolphin and Krusader. Konqueror is starting and working with many errors (webbrowsing is working only with webkitpart), Dolphin and Krusader are dead.
          Code:
          cant load library /usr/lib/kde4/libkhtmlpart.so: (/usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN6Phonon11VideoPlayer5eventEP6QEvent)
          or in konsole
          Code:
          konqueror(15473) KonqFactory::createView: Trying to create view for "text/html" "khtml"
          konqueror(15473) KonqFactory::createView: Found requested service "khtml"
          konqueror(15473) KonqFactory::createView: Trying to open lib for requested service "khtml"
          konqueror(15473)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
          konqueror(15473)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
          konqueror(15473) KonqFactory::createView: no part could be loaded 
          konqueror(15473) KonqViewManager::loadItem: Profile Loading Error: View creation failed 
          konqueror(15473) KonqViewManager::setCurrentProfile: "webbrowsing" localPath= "/home/kubuntu/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing"
          konqueror(15473) kdemain: Running nspluginscan
          Code:
          dolphin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_dolphin.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6Phonon11VideoPlayer5eventEP6QEvent
          Code:
          krusader: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN6Phonon11VideoPlayer5eventEP6QEvent
          It seems something wrong between kdelibs and phonon.
          Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

I had no problems with beta1 but after today's beta2 I can't log in. Login screen just reload and asks me for login and password again and again.
            Did ppa-purge and now I have 4.5.1 and aptitude found no updates.

Comment

I found solution for my problem. During upgrade of phonon was old library /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4.4.0 renamed to /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4.4.0.backup and symlink /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4 was badly linked to this backup and not to new installed version /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4.4.0 . And because apps are loading symlink /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4 they were loading old backuped version of phonon. Solution was changing of symlink to regular version of phonon library.

Symlink in debian package of libphonon4 is correct, it was probably some fault of apt-get during upgrade.
              Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by DenisBY
                I had no problems with beta1 but after today's beta2 I can't log in. Login screen just reload and asks me for login and password again and again.
                For this situation i have installed litlle LXDE alongside KDE, so in troubles with logging to KDE i have another desktop with GUI apps for solution of KDE problems. Logging problems are often connected to incomplete upgrade of KDE. For me the best is repeated using of "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". Btw. after using of ppa-purge you have disabled the purged repository, so you have to reenabled it for updates.
                Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Poborskiii
                  Originally posted by DenisBY
                  For this situation i have installed litlle LXDE alongside KDE, so in troubles with logging to KDE i have another desktop with GUI apps for solution of KDE problems. Logging problems are often connected to incomplete upgrade of KDE. For me the best is repeated using of "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". Btw. after using of ppa-purge you have disabled the purged repository, so you have to reenabled it for updates.
                  for this situation I have links installed
                  I forgot that 4.5.1 is latest stable, so everything is ok. Will try to upgrade to 4.6beta2 again tomorrow. Maybe found solution for my problem.

Comment

Installed beta2. This time I can log in but like after update to 4.5.3 I have broken desktop. No taskbar, just wallpaper and nothing more. I can hear sounds from skype being connected. It works after removing .kde directory but appears again after re-logon. So removing .kde each time is not a solution.
                    I guess this is because of two monitors, because after configuring them on clean .kde and re-logon I have same issue.

Comment

Having trouble with dolphin in Beta 2:

First time I run it, it starts fine. When I close it, the window disappears but the process keeps running (unless killed)

Afterwards, dolphin no longer starts until I kill the process.

Tried adding a new user to see if it was junk in my config, but happened there too.

Anyone else getting this?

-Andy
                      "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Working...
                      X