This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing samba shares from linux client

I've just set up a netbook and have configured it to access samba shares on my desktop. Both machines are running Kubuntu 10.10.

When I open a file from a shared directory it is given a temporary filename - a prefix is added e.g. 'iptables.ods' would be '2680.0.iptables.ods'.

I can edit the file, save changes etc. but these are saved to the temporary file and not the original. When I quit the application the following message appears:

File Changed - KIOExec
    The file xxx has been modified.
    Do you want to upload the changes?

Only when I click on 'Upload' are the changes saved to the original file.

If I edit a file using a Windows client any saves are immediately made to the original. Why this isn't happening when using a Linux client - is it a permissions issue or something else?

Thanks

Nick
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Re: Accessing samba shares from linux client

I believe this is the way that samba is intended to work (someone jump in here to correct me!).

This does not address your question, but have you considered NFS instead of samba for your linux-to-linux shares? It's faster and will allow (if correctly configured) direct edits of files like you desire.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      ...have you considered NFS instead of samba for your linux-to-linux shares? It's faster and will allow (if correctly configured) direct edits of files like you desire.
      No I hadn't but I think I'll look into it. Thanks.

Comment

It's pretty simple and quick. Install nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, portmap, and tcpd to your linux installs, edit /etc/hosts.deny, /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/exports, and /etc/fstab. Start portmap and nfs...

Let me know if you need specific help.

Please Read Me

Comment

NFS is great and as you mentioned, much faster than Samba, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X