This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good dock

Could someone recommend a nice looking dock for kubuntu and where to get it from

Re: Good dock

FancyTask can be used a Dock. It looks and works good:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=99737
    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by x-dog
      Could someone recommend a nice looking dock for kubuntu and where to get it from
      I would recommend Daisy plasmoid, it is nice looking, configurable and simple (not as fancy as AWN). Also, it should be in the repos. So all you have to do is to install it via Konsole:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-daisy
      http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=102077

Regards

Comment

Ok thanks I decided to go with the daisy one. I downloaded it and installed it now how do i get it to launch?

Comment

Ok thanks I decided to go with the daisy one. I downloaded it and installed it now how do i get it to launch?
          It is a plasma widget, so you can add it directly to your desktop or to the panels.

1. Right mouse click on desktop. A menu will appear.
          2. If desktop widgets are locked, select "unlock widgets" from menu items. If desktop widgets are not locked you will see something like "Add Widget" on menu. Select it, and a plasmoid list will appear.
          3. Find "Daisy" there, then drag and drop it to your desktop.
          4. Configure it (right click on it, a menu will appear)

Regards.

Comment

Ok thanks I don't no how I over looked that. Is there a guide for this? I want to add google chrome and a few other things to it.

Comment

Ok thanks I don't no how I over looked that. Is there a guide for this? I want to add google chrome and a few other things to it.
              If you want to add applications to it, all you have to do is drag and drop the applications to daisy dock. Open Kickoff (equivalent of windows "start" button) select your favorite appications, and drag them over to Daisy Dock.

And if you want to change appearance and behaviour of the daisy dock, right click on it and select Daisy settings from the right click menu. A settings dialogue will appear. You can change appearance & behaviour of daisy dock from there.

Comment

This is just a kewl dock.
                I love three things about it:
                a) one can easily switch between formats.
                b) it has a format that I had never seen before and that is the media controller which is just way kewl.
                c) It defaults to a transparent theme.

It isn't that I'm "into docks" but docks do provide a much enhanced control over getting to applications and interaction with the desktop.

I did not normally have the panel at the top but have done that a lot lately.

By placing the panel at the top, having the Daisy linear dock at the bottom and hideable the transparent "glass" windows for the desktop apps etc. so that I can have multiple documents on the desktop at once, and see through them, the plasmoid widget which can be customizeable to various folders, I can grade papers, post grades, listen to music, etc. etc. very efficiently.

The widgets of things like cpu useage and temperature are a much easier "glance" than gKrellm which has always been my go to on things like that.

I really did tweak out a Crunchbang desktop for that but, the plasma widgets, etc, provide much easier customization for switching between various needs, like a weather widget can be placed very quickly in terms of going to bed, and checking at two in the morning on a drink of water run to see what will be happening for school the next day in terms of snow and stuff.

I had previously found this efficiency best with the Compiz cube, but the plasma desktop probably will be "as good" or "better" than the compiz cube as of this amount of time using it(month or so).

So...to x-dog for making the post - THANK YOU
                and to the replies and various dock mentions by the rest of you...THANK YOU!

woodsmoke

Comment

K thanks for the replies. Daisy dock is very good but I said I'd give Cairo a go and I think Cairo is the dock for me. I have one small problem though all other icons except qBittorent will work on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X