• Show
Clear All

KDE SC 4.5.4

Anybody tried it? Here this upgrade looks ugly:

Os pacotes a seguir serão REMOVIDOS(removed):
    kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kubuntu-desktop
    plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
    plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace

If you find a grammar error in my text, is because English is not my native language :-)

Re: KDE SC 4.5.4

Trying it now. Kontact can neither display contacts nor add new ones (crashes immediately). And colour scheme previews in System Settings are broken. And Dolphin has reappearing/vanishing stray/duplicate entries in "places", takes almost 20 seconds to start up, and is being slow and wonky (clicking some "places" just pops up the device notifier, which isn't showing the corresponding device...).

(edit: This was actually KDE 4.5.80 (4.6 Beta 1); sorry for the mixup)

Comment

After the upgrade, you have any login problems, like a black screen?
      If you find a grammar error in my text, is because English is not my native language :-)

Comment

I got a text (tty) login. I logged in from that and manually killed and restarted kdm.

Comment

Oh, wait. This is KDE 4.5.80 (4.6 Beta1). The earlier KDE 4.5.4 update was in fact problem-free (during those few hours I had it). Eep.

Comment

After the upgrade, I have a black screen... So I login in TTY2, make a sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, rebooted and now evething is OK.

Comment

Oh, wait. This is KDE 4.5.80 (4.6 Beta1).
              How did you get that?
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                Oh, wait. This is KDE 4.5.80 (4.6 Beta1).
                How did you get that?
                kubuntu-ppa/beta

Comment

fwiw - 4.5.4 running fine on ArchLInux
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

FYI, KDE 4.5.4 is working fine - without a glitch - on Kubuntu 10.10 (on both of my machines). At least transition from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4 is without any problem.

Regards.

Comment

Same here ...hmm .. I just reinstalled the system and KDE 4.5.4 but the updater inform me of a upgrade that will remove 8 packages - among them kubuntu-desstop - this cannot be "as intended" can it?

sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      Calculating upgrade... Done
                      The following packages will be REMOVED:
                      kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kubuntu-desktop plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
                      The following packages will be upgraded:
                      kde-window-manager kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdm kinfocenter ksysguard ksysguardd libkdecorations4
                      libkephal4 libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksignalplotter4 libkwineffects1a libkworkspace4 libplasma-geolocation-interface4
                      libplasmaclock4b libplasmagenericshell4 libprocesscore4a libprocessui4a libsolidcontrol4a libsolidcontrolifaces4 libtaskmanager4a
                      libweather-ion4a
                      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

If these are all metapackages, no actual software will be removed, right? Just the "containers" that originally bundled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
                          Same here ...hmm .. I just reinstalled the system and KDE 4.5.4 but the updater inform me of a upgrade that will remove 8 packages - among them kubuntu-desstop - this cannot be "as intended" can it?

sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Calculating upgrade... Done
                          The following packages will be REMOVED:
                          kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kubuntu-desktop plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
                          The following packages will be upgraded:
                          kde-window-manager kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdm kinfocenter ksysguard ksysguardd libkdecorations4
                          libkephal4 libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksignalplotter4 libkwineffects1a libkworkspace4 libplasma-geolocation-interface4
                          libplasmaclock4b libplasmagenericshell4 libprocesscore4a libprocessui4a libsolidcontrol4a libsolidcontrolifaces4 libtaskmanager4a
                          libweather-ion4a
                          After the upgrade, you MUST reinstall kubuntu-desktop, or you will not get to the graphical interface.

Comment

Ugrading to 4.5.4 went fine.

Upgrading to 4.6 Beta did not go at all fine.
                            After the upgrade, you MUST reinstall kubuntu-desktop, or you will not get to the graphical interface.
                            doing
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                            from recovery gave me a list of unmet dependencies and the simple error message that files were corrupt.
                            Any ideas on getting the desktop back without reinstalling?
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Change repos back and reinstall kubuntu-desktop? But I'm sure you tried that...
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X