This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese input

I recently upgraded to Maverick but Skim no longer worked so i uninstalled Skim and have installed ibus as per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ibus

Installing on Maverick Meerkat

If you use the latest version of ubuntu which is Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) then you need to install it using following ways as its not installed in default.

Go to System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager (you have to give your password) type " ibus-m17 " on search box. then just install the one appears. After installation the package, just close the synaptic. Now you are done to use Ibus. Now go to System>Administration>Language Support (it may ask you to install the Language support, just click on the "Remind me later") Then select ' ibus ' from the "Keyboard input method system" under the Language tab.

Then close the window and restart the PC.

For older versions of Ubuntu a PPA exists for Intrepid and Jaunty.

Running IBus

If IBus doesn't automatically startup at login then you need to add it to startup applications list.

Open System > Preferences > Startup Applications
    * Click on the "Add" button
    * Write command as: "ibus-daemon"
    * Click on the "Add" button

Setting up your Language

Go to System->Preferences->Ibus Preferences.
    * Go to 'Input Method' tab
    * Select your language from the drop down menu and click 'Add button'
    * Move it up to the top so that whenever you run ibus you will be directly able to type in your language.
    * Close

One problem is i couldn't find any System>Administration>Language Support.

The ibus daemon is running and i have set japanese anthy (m17n) as the input method but when i use ctrl-space in the Kate text editor the language stays the same

any suggestions as to what i haven't done or screwed up would be welcome

Re: Japanese input

K > System Settings > Locale and click on the Select System Language button, enter you password when prompted and click on Remind me Later. In the Language Selector window click on Keyboard input method: dropdown button and select ibus.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I cant find a remind me later button just a list of languages. Also in trying to solve this problem all the icons in system settings have japanese descriptions which makes life very difficult although the locale box is in english

Comment

Further information. The output from running locale in a konsole is:-

LANG=en_GB.utf8
        LANGUAGE=en_GB
        LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_TIME="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_COLLATE="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_MONETARY="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_PAPER="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_NAME="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.utf8"
        LC_ALL=

The Kde menu items are still mainly with japanese descriptions. Using the kde menu editor the name comes up in japanese. This can be manually changed to whatever you want and seems to take effect so i could go through most of them and change them back if i can figure out what they do.

i still cannot get japanese input despite clicking on the ibus in input methods in language settings and clicking on set system language

Comment

I have managed to solve the icon problem by running

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental to rebuild the cache

still have no luck with the japanese input

Comment

Working...
          X