This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kpackage wants to install python-wicd and keeps failing

I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 on an old IBM thinkpad 600e. It runs slow, but it runs.

I have packages that I still want to install, but when I try to install the packages, Kpackage always wants to install python-wicd. I tried to install wicd last week and I think python-wicd may have been included as a dependency, or possibly I selected it to try it out, I don't remember which.

So I have two problems: 1) I can't install python-wicd 2) I can't install other packages because Kpackage fails on python-wicd.

I tried hitting the 'reset' button in the KpackageKit window, but that did not help.

BTW, when I search for ptyhon-wicd in Kpackage, it shows up, but I see no indication that it is seleted to be installed.

Does anyone have pointers for getting Kpackage back to where it will not try to install python-wicd?

When I try to install python-wicd, I get a pop-up error window that says:

One of the selected packages failed to install correctly. More information is available in the detailed report.

The detailed window says:

subprocess installed post-installation script returned exit status 1

Re: Kpackage wants to install python-wicd and keeps failing

Open a konsole and issue

sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-daemon python-wicd wicd-gtk wicd-curses wicd-cli

After that is done issue

sudo apt-get remove knm-runtime network-manager network-manager-kde

When that is done reboot.

When you get your desktop back open Konsole again and issue

sudo apt-get autoremove

to clear up the network-manager orphans.

Then close the konsole and from the System menu chose Wicd. Configure your wireless and connect. The Wicd icon may not appear in the system tray until your next reboot, if they haven't fixed that bug.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I apologize for taking so long to getting back to this issue.

I ran the "sudo apt-get ...." command suggested. Things ran fun until the following messages came up during the execution:

Setting up python-wicd (1.7.0+ds1-5) ...
      File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 52
      print x
      ^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
      dpkg: error processing post-installation script returned error exit status 1

and the error messages go on from there and at the end a message was printed for each package saying that it was not configured.

I checked the python print statement and the value of 'x' is an argument to a method debug:

def debug(x):
      if (options.verbose):
      print x

Is there a way to work around this? I tried running apt-get with -q hoping it would put me in a non-verbose mode, but that did not work.

Jim

Comment

Try reinstalling python-support, which contains update-python-modules.

And/or
        run:

sudo apt-get -f install
        sudo dpkg --configure -a

repeatedly until the problems go away.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X