X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kununtu flash/video sound problems

Good morning all,

I am running Kubuntu 10.10 and while sound works for MP3's through Amarok and I get the start-up and shutdown sounds as well but cannot get any sound whatsoever through either my web-browser or from video playback. Can anyone help me please?

Regards,

A.

Re: Kununtu flash/video sound problems

please look in the mixer (kmix) and be sure that the "PCM" volume is not muted. also check under channels be sure they are all turned on (just incase its not called pcm on your system). if that does not work try installing "alsamixer" run it from a konsole and repeate above advice.

good luck
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hello there and thanks.

Some of my channels do show up as muted when I first log in and the volume levels always return to a lower setting. I am able to turn them up and 'un-mute' them though but this seems to make no difference. I already have ALSAMixer installed and all the channels listed there show up as being fine. Is there a text file somewhere I can edit to resolve this? It seems strange that there would be more software required if I am able to play MP3's and other audio files.

Thanks,

A.

Comment

Install the padevchooser, paman, and pavucontrol packages. Close your browser and any media players. Now open padevcontrol, and click through the tabs for configuration, input devices, and output devices and make sure the profile(s) in Configuration look reasonable, that the Input device, if any, is appropriate (typically "Microphone 1", muted), and Output Device(s) look reasonable and are not muted. It is the output devices that actually produce your audio.

Once you are satisfied that everything looks right, close pavucontrol and open System Settings > Multimedia. It should open to the "Music" device preference, and in the pane on the right you should see one or more "Output Device" listed. At the bottom of that pane is a "TEST" button. Highlight the top device, and press the test button. If you hear the audio, fine -- if not, there's some problem with that device. If there is another device in the list, highlight that one and test it. If the device lower on the list works, use the "Prefer" button next to the test button to move it to the top of the list.

Rinse and repeat -- you should be able to get a reliable audio output. However, you may have a problem when you leave the browser open after playing flash video, if you then try to play music or video files on your computer. The linux sound system seems to "remember" that the browser has control of audio, and refuses to let another player have control while the browser is still running.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thnaks dibl for that was gonna be my next suggestion
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your help but video sound still does not work. All those packages were already installed. I checked the sound levels and the video test button produced sound like it did before but there is still no actual sound when I try to play any video files.

Comment

What browser(s) have you tried?
              Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Hello there. I have tried Firefox (the browser I have used for years, just in the latest version) and Rekonq.

Comment

Can you post screenies of Alsamixer GUI so that we can see what you've got going on there? Have you tried adjusting any settings in DragonPlayer (or whatever video player you're using)?
                  Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

If .mp3 and .wav files are playing correctly, and it is only videos that are not producing audio output, then it seems the problem is not with the sound system, but with the video codecs and/or plugins.

Have you followed the guidance here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I Something strange happened last week. I turned on my computer as normal and logged on and heard music from a flash video. It has not happened since then though. It seems to me then that all required software is already installed but something needs to change with regards to it's setup. Any suggestions as to what that might be?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Comment

Working...
                      X