This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] kPackageKit shows updates, but won't install them

For the past couple of weeks, kPackageKit has been showing available updates, and appears to go through the process of downloading and installing them, but it continues to show the same available updates. Is there a known problem? Is kPackageKit broken? It is currently showing 17 available updates, including several files having to do with libxml.
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: kPackageKit shows updates, but won't install them

To update your system, open the Konsole and:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    take note of any errors and post back anything that is not obvious to you.

Comment

The entire output of the dist-upgrade command:

ken@system:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      E: The package dcp1000lpr needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

The dcp1000lpr is a driver for my Brother laser printer. It's quite possible that the problem with updates began with this installation, though I can't swear to it. I tried "sudo apt-get remove dcp1000lpr." It appeared to succeed, but then it repeated the "...needs to be reinstalled..." message.

Any ideas?
      I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Yes, I've had that same problem, unfortunately, with a Canon printer driver. The printer driver (or the un-purged remains thereof) is blocking the update process.

Try
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge dcp1000lpr
        Then run
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        If the dist-upgrade process runs to completion, then your system will be fully updated, and you can reinstall the printer driver. Once installed, it will resume blocking package updates. Next time you want to run updates ... rinse and repeat.

There really isn't a happy ending to this story, unless you are able to find an updated .deb package for your printer driver.

I don't know whether it would be (a) technically feasible, or (b) worth your time and effort to wrap the Windows XP driver for that printer in ndiswrapper. I offer this merely for your consideration: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17719

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Try
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove --purge dcp1000lpr
          Then run
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          Thanks. Unfortunately, this didn't work. It continues to report that the package needs to be reinstalled. Now there are 37 updates waiting to be installed.

I have a request in to Brother for help with this. Unfortunately, the last response from them was that they don't provide a Linux driver for this printer. I informed him/her that the driver I'm trying to install was downloaded from the Brother website. Waiting to hear their response to that.

Originally posted by dibl
          I don't know whether it would be (a) technically feasible, or (b) worth your time and effort to wrap the Windows XP driver for that printer in ndiswrapper. I offer this merely for your consideration: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17719
          Not within my expertise. Anyway, thanks for the help. If I get a solution that might help others, I'll post it here.

Comment

If you have not already, see post #14 here:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1064526&page=2

Just change the 'gksudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/status' to 'kdesudo kate /var/lib/dpkg/status'

Comment

Originally posted by slush1000
              If you have not already, see post #14 here:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1064526&page=2

Just change the 'gksudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/status' to 'kdesudo kate /var/lib/dpkg/status'

That did it. Updates are now succeeding. Thanks!

Comment

I'm glad that an appropriate answer was provided that resolved your issue, but may I ask why you posted here, in Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, when, according to your signature line, "My system is Kubuntu 10.04"? If true, this should have been posted under 10.04, and I'll happily move this entire thread there if that is the case.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  I'm glad that an appropriate answer was provided that resolved your issue, but may I ask why you posted here, in Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, when, according to your signature line, "My system is Kubuntu 10.04"? If true, this should have been posted under 10.04, and I'll happily move this entire thread there if that is the case.
                  Sorry, just an outdated signature. I've changed it.

Comment

Working...
                  X