X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot log out of kde

Hi all.

Recently upgraded my maverick installation from from kde 4.5.1 to 4.5.3 - almost everything (except bluetooth!) works great and it seems my laptop is now faster than it's been for a long time

However, whilst shutdown and hibernate are both fine I simply cannot log out of KDE, whether by selecting logout as the "leave" option, or restarting x. Under both options I'm left with a black screen showing what look like messages relating to the startup, eg starting guarddog firewall (even though I've uninstalled it as I'm now using ufw) and checking battery state. My only route thereafter is either the power switch or REISUB.

This issue has been with me since I installed maverick (clean install- pre-existing home partition) and whilst it's a small niggle if I can fix it I would like to. Anyone any ideas on this one please? I assume I will need to post a log file for a proper diagnosis, can anyone say where I might find it plse?

Thanks

Ian

Re: Cannot log out of kde

That has come up before -- check #10 here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/220102

It seems to be related to some video cards and drivers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply dibl. However, my card is the intel 915 whereas that thread refers to ATI cards.

I've never experienced this before, and I'm wondering whether it might have something to do with the fact that when I installed 10.10, it resulted in a downgrade of KDE. IIRC on 10.04 I was up to 4.5.2 and all was well. On installation of 10.10 I went back to 4.5.1 without my knowledge and it has to be said, things seemed a little shaky. KDE Notification sounds didn't work, there was this issue, and one or two things just didn't "feel right" if you know what I mean. I was at one point wondering whether to go back to 10.04.

Installing kde 4.5.3 lost me the plasma desktop, but I knew how to fix that. I was able to restore notification sounds - I renamed the phonondevices.rc file, rebooted and then put it back and it just worked This has transformed the machines performance.

Going for the non-destructive option first, is there a file that I can rename/remove to afford only kdm a fresh start, so I can simply reconfigure that, as I suspect that that may be the issue, given this has never happened before?

Thanks

Comment

Can you at least restart kdm with "sudo service kdm restart" or turn the computer off from the command line?

Other than that I was going to suggest that you check your /etc/inittab but quickly realised that kubuntu doesn't even have that file any more (same goes for ~.xinitrc)

Over to the *buntu folk...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'll give it a go tonight, thanks

Comment

I had that occur on my 10.4 install. I replaced the plasmid controls and that didn't work.

So, I renamed ~/.kde to ~/.kde_old and restarted the kdm from a Konsole. That lost all of my desktop configurations but the Lock/Logout buttons worked. I killed kdm, deleted the new .kde directory and renamed .kde_old to .kde. Then rebooted. My desktop came back and the Lock/Logut buttons worked again. Don't know why.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Don't know why.
              It's the KDE 'Monkey Gods', and as we all know, Monkey Gods are mischievous, doing what ever they please, and at any time they please.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Gee ... all this time I thought it was do to mischievous electronic gremlins... you know ... the ones that bite you with little blue flashes of lightening leaping off your hardware when they don't like what you are doing! Do these "Monkey Gods" like banana offerings?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  ...mischievous electronic gremlins... you know ... the ones that bite you with little blue flashes of lightening leaping off your hardware when they don't like what you are doing!
                  'electronic gremlins' I like that metaphor!

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    Can you at least restart kdm with "sudo service kdm restart" or turn the computer off from the command line?

Other than that I was going to suggest that you check your /etc/inittab but quickly realised that kubuntu doesn't even have that file any more (same goes for ~.xinitrc)

Over to the *buntu folk...
                    Shutting down from command line isn't a problem neither is the power button etc. It's simply logging out that doesn't work. I'm puzzled.

sudo service kdm restart does indeed induce a logout. However, it then changed all my fonts (?) and left logout bas the only right-click "leave" option. The power button no longer worked.

Once I shut the computer down all was back to normal except of course I can't logout! As the only user of the machine it's not too big a deal but it would be nice to have it working.

The Monkey Gods or electronic gremlins are having a laugh on me tonight, for sure

Comment

So that I at least have it clear in my mind, is this issue about not being presented with the KDM Login Greeter after logging out from a Desktop session?

Comment

Something that I've noticed, and just verified again, is that while I can select to Log Out, the expected behavior of being returned to the KDM Greeter does not occur. Instead, I am truely logged out of KDE and put at the CLI login prompt. This was not the behavior in prior releases of Kubuntu - you would be sent back to the KDM Login screen. I'm guessing that this 'new' behavior is due to not having more than one user established. I can test this assumption of course, but is this being experienced by any one else with only one user account on Maverick?

Comment

Running the 32 bit Maverick within the VB VM I found that when I click the session log out button that instead of taking me to the login greeter screen it reboots. I eventually get to the login greeter screen but it takes a lot longer.

Comment

Keeping in mind, that it's not an intention to hijack TL's post, I wonder what the behavior would be when enabling the Ctrl+Alt+Del restart KDE key sequence? Hmm. Have to test that out.

Comment

So, the Ctrl+Alt+Del for restarting KDE is enbabled 'by default.' Using it puts me at the 'black screen' that TL describes, with the cursor all the way to the right of the screen, on the line that says "Checking battery state..." You have to use the Magick Key Sequence to shutdown and reboot from this condition.

This is not the behavior in previous releases.

Comment

Working...
                              X