X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assigning a script to the taskbar

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me if this is a daft question! I've Goggled around and cannot find an obvious answer. Years ago you used to be able to attach a program or a script to the Taskbar and configure it with a button and an icon. This does not seem to be possible with the new Plasma setup. It only seems possible to attach widgets. How do you create your own mini-widget, say, to run a specific command, or run an executable script?

Any pointers welcome.

Re: Assigning a script to the taskbar

Originally posted by PhilT
    How do you create your own mini-widget, say, to run a specific command, or run an executable script?

Any pointers welcome.
    I usually use
    (1) raw brutal method: copying existing an app-name.desktop file and edit its contents
    (2) gently: plasma has app-launcher (rocket icon) widget that looks like a container for a set of user defined apps/icons/scripts, having an option to choose from file dialog
    (3) simple way: use drag-n-drop of any executable script from dolphin just into taskbar app-launcher widget (see 2)
    (4) long & pedantic way: use KDE Menu editor (right click on blue "K", first choice) to create fullfilled app description+icons etc, then just use KDE Menu on your app (right click) to place it on Favorities or Taskbar Panel

Indeed the taskbar is also a widget and there at the bottom of KDE screen you can see a panel containing many widgets (mine are clock, k-menu, notifier and so on), so you can not add script into a taskbar widget, but you can add a container widget into panel where the Taskbar resides (from left or from right of Taskbar) and then fill in this container with your scripts and apps.

Also I can suggest my lovely widget from page about plasma service monitor, its features not only starts or stops scripts, but also display status if they running or not.

A wide choice, isnt it?

Comment

Re: Assigning a script to the taskbar

Thanks for that!!

Yes, indeed! Lots of choice. I'll have a go at them all to get experience.

Comment

Working...
      X