This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMix memory usage.

Is there any word on whether or not anything has been done about the ginormous memory leak in KMix? After a few hours it winds up eating up all of the free ram on my laptop and my system grinds to a halt. In the event that there is no way around this problem what would be the best alternative to use? If really like the taskbar control and use of the mouse wheel to quickly adjust volume so if there is a way to preserve that I would be very happy.

Re: KMix memory usage.

No memory leak here on my 10.10 w/KDE 4.5.3. I've never had a problem with any release of Kubuntu I've run.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had a problem with kmix 100% CPU usage and ~150mb memory usage in 10.10, but I fixed it by deleting kmix settings in my home folder. Still, even after reset it looks like it still have a memory leak - it now starts as a 13 mb, but after a while it will eat 50+ mb of memory.

Comment

I experienced the same thing after upgrading from Kubuntu 10.04 to Kubuntu 10.10.

After a few hours kmix eats up all my available memory and have a very high CPU load. I have to kill it and restart it to make my system responsible again, but after a few hours it's the same problem again.

I was rather pleased with Kubuntu 10.10, but this is a show-stopper for me so I changed to Gnome for the time being.

Comment

what kind of audio cards do you all have im thinking perhaps its an issue with your hardware (since i have no memory leak on any of the dozen or so kubuntu boxes i run). also in the future when you have an issue it helps us greatly if you tell us about your hardware.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Mine is an old Soundblaster live card. It worked perfectly with KDE 4.4 in Kubuntu 10.04. I haven't really had much problem with this sound card in the many years I've used it on various Debian and Ubuntu releases.

From what I understand there was a rather significant change from 4.4 to 4.5:
            hw<->alsa<->xine<->phonon<->kmix

hw<->alsa<->pulseaudio<->xine/gstreamer<->phonon<->kmix

Maybe a hick-up somewhere there?

Comment

THERE IS A WORKAROUND: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114879.0

I have the same problem. kmix is unresponsive when run in pulse mode, and it runs up a massive memory profile, and uses 20-100% CPU. It has no problems in alsa mode.

PROFILE:

I run a natty machine, and have noticed the problem for only a few weeks, around when I started playing with some of the pulse additional libraries (zeroconf & other network.) I have all of those clever modules de-activated but still have an unusablekmix. Occasioanly my pulse crashes, and my phonon config loses all devices, listing only the pulseaudio sound server. The problem showed up after kde 4.6 release (4.6 beta gave no problems) but before the 2.6.38 kernel preview.

$ modinfo snd_hda_intel
              filename: /lib/modules/2.6.38-1-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
              description: Intel HDA driver
              srcversion: 8CD28FC5EE948AAE22CA061

$ pulseaudio --version
              pulseaudio 0.9.22-18-geb966

It might also be worth noting that I run on a Dell XS 16 which required some additional config:
              # Codec: IDT 92HD73C1X5
              options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
              options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

Interestingly, the veromix plasma applet sometimes get's all whacky (loses track of apps) and the soundserver gets more stable when I remove it.

My amateur guess is that the problem is a result of that tricky pulse adaptation. I'm not saying that I think that it is a problem with pulse or kde, rather an issue with the kde migration from alsa to pulse.

J

Comment

Working...
              X