This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

openoffice.org-kde broken?

I rarely use OpenOffice.org so I'm not sure if this is a new problem since upgrading to Kubuntu 10.10 or not. When I try to use some OpenOffice.org component (e.g. Writer or Calc) it crashes after the splash screen, sometimes flashing the application window or recovery screen for a moment. When I try it on the command line I get:

oowriter
    X-Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
    Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
    Resource ID: 0x0
    Serial No: 630 (630)
    These errors are reported asynchronously,
    set environment variable SAL_SYNCHRONIZE to 1 to help debugging

("env SAL_SYNCHRONIZE=1 oowriter" just removes the last two lines)

This looks similar to the problem being discussed here: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-o.../msg23249.html
    However, they claim it was fixed in OO.o 3.2.

Is there a better solution than removing openoffice.org-kde to get this to work?

Re: openoffice.org-kde broken?

Originally posted by Way Walker
    . . . Is there a better solution than removing openoffice.org-kde to get this to work?
    I'm not sure that removing it would get it to work. How about trying another version such as the Debian one? Dot debs work just fine in Kubuntu. There's also LibreOffice which is probably your best bet at this point in time unless you're really a fan of Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Way Walker
      I rarely use OpenOffice.org so I'm not sure if this is a new problem since upgrading to Kubuntu 10.10 or not. When I try to use some OpenOffice.org component (e.g. Writer or Calc) it crashes after the splash screen, sometimes flashing the application window or recovery screen for a moment. When I try it on the command line I get:

oowriter
      X-Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource ID: 0x0
      Serial No: 630 (630)
      These errors are reported asynchronously,
      set environment variable SAL_SYNCHRONIZE to 1 to help debugging

("env SAL_SYNCHRONIZE=1 oowriter" just removes the last two lines)

This looks similar to the problem being discussed here: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-o.../msg23249.html
      However, they claim it was fixed in OO.o 3.2.

Is there a better solution than removing openoffice.org-kde to get this to work?
      Hi,

You might want to remove openoffice.org folder. This helped me before in some "similar" cases, maybe it will also help you.

In konsole, type:
      Code:
      rm -R ~/.openoffice.org

Don't worry, Openoffice will create the same folder with default/fresh settings, when you launch it again.

Regards

Comment

Do you happend to be using qt raster engine? That could be the problem, at least that was the error i was getting when using raster engine, it does work ok after switch to default xrender.

Comment

Originally posted by minisori
          Do you happend to be using qt raster engine? That could be the problem, at least that was the error i was getting when using raster engine, it does work ok after switch to default xrender.
          This seems to have fixed it. Plasma runs a bit slower, disabled some animations, but it also fixed some issues I had with plasma not painting with compositing. So, overall, my computer's doing better. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X