This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE SC 4.5.3 Nightmares

I got burned with the KDE SC 4.5.3 packaging SNAFU last night, leaving me with a non-functional system.

Today, I have TWICE reloaded 10.10 from the install CD, and then updated to 4.5.3 and whatever else was new. Because there was a new Linux kernel installed, I did system restarts. In both cases, after the KDE login, it jumps to a totally black screen with just my mouse pointer. Unrecoverable.

And my Dell 1501 system is one that never got a fix for the bootup problem with the advent of 10.04. Every day I have to wait 10 minutes for the screen to go dark after the boot process reaches the login screen. Thereafter, I can press the shift key and everything would be normal.

I really didn't look at KDE SC 4.5.3 very much before doing the system restarts, but I did spend some time in Dolphin. The visual aesthetics are shocking. It looks like I time-warped back to the Win 95/98 days!
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Re: KDE SC 4.5.3 Nightmares

Try some of the workarounds listed here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/670788

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
      I unfortunately did the updates for all my systems and therefore had no working computer for which my wife was most annoyed. By trial and error I found out how to get the grub menu on startup (F11) so that I could take the repair option. Unfortunately all the latest updates did not fix the system, so I still had no boot-able computer. I ended up using the installation CD to connect to the Internet and found a number of solutions. The one which retained all the latest KDE 4.5.3 updates involved the steps listed below.

@rklz

I had the same problem with kpackagekit.

But with aptitude I had no problems. I did the following:

sudo aptitude update
      sudo aptitude full-upgrade
      sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
      sudo rm -rf /tmp/kde*
      sudo rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache*

Then reboot.
      Hope this helps get to the solution quickly for all concerned without having to trawl through all the solutions given.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
        Originally posted by skunk
        I unfortunately did the updates for all my systems and therefore had no working computer for which my wife was most annoyed. To have the latest KDE 4.5.3, I followed the steps which I have listed below.

@rklz

I had the same problem with kpackagekit.

But with aptitude I had no problems. I did the following:

sudo aptitude update
        sudo rm -rf /tmp/kde*

Then reboot.
        Hope this helps get to the solution quickly for all concerned without having to trawl through all the solutions given.
        btw, I have updated successfully - first update was incomplete, so I had to wait (for two/three hours), until aptitude said that all updates ok (nothing to delete except libwheatherion4).
        There is a tiny advice I can say after success 9.04...10.10 update procedures - newer do them quickly, just wait for a day or two.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

But so far everything worked fine on the two systems I upgraded, one with Intel and one with nVidia.

The/A difference might be I still don't use KPackageKit but Adept.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
            Thanks for the tips.

But so far everything worked fine on the two systems I upgraded, one with Intel and one with nVidia.

The/A difference might be I still don't use KPackageKit but Adept.
            For a serious update (when a massive package set is going to upgrade and where are variants can be presented by aptitude in case of incomplete parts are still building) I prefer to run aptitude in a console.

Comment

I have the same problem. Unfortunately I still have been struggling with it for 3 days. I gave the the suggested commands:

sudo aptitude update
              sudo rm -rf /tmp/kde*

First of all I have to mention that, I added the next two lines in /etc/apt/sources.list filel:
              deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu maverick main
              deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu maverick main

In the console I gave the next commands:

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After the kde update (kfe4.5.3) I have recognised that kde is missing from the session button, thus I always get in a black screen. Just tell me what commands you gave. I am sure that there is a serious problem when people try to upgrade their kde-based (kubuntu) official linux system to a higher version (may be the method of solving this problem is wrong) !!!

The Kubuntu dev. Team do not offer us an adequate help or say a light clue regarding kde-upgrade related issues. Hopefully this would be under-consideration in the future. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

Comment

I do not see any evidence your problem is common.

But it's quite nasty for you.

Have you tried getting to a command line, log in and do a sudo startx?

Comment

DO NOT run 'sudo startx', the 'sudo' is not needed and could mess with permissions in your home directory. If you just run 'startx', you will get either a KDE desktop, or error messages if it does not.

Comment

I had the same issue ... sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop ... fixed it for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X