This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulseaudio and network problem

First let my say this: I see no reason why pulse audio would bring benefit to more than 95% of the Kubuntu users but it brings complications.

Since ALSA came out I was a fan of ALSA as it did all I needed with sound and this also on systems with several different sound devices.
    I had Skype configured so my conversations would be on my wireless USB headset and the ring tone would go to the analog wired connected external sound system so I can here it in my whole flat without having to wear the headset.
    Now I can only easily configure pulse so Skype would use for all sound in and output the headset or the external system which both does not do the job.

So I removed pulseaudio from my system. Now when I log onto KDE I get no DNS resolution for several minutes and the network performance is very pore all the time. When I try before starting KDE in a console the network works with no limitation. Reinstalling pulseaudio also removes the network problems in KDE.
    I have no clue what the sound and the network have in common and am only used to such strange effects from MS Windows.
    I don't see it as an alternative to spend some nights studying the details of pulseaudio programming and configuration as I absolutely do not need the extra features pulseaudio brings and I believe most Kubuntu users also do not need it.

So how do I remove pulseaudio without negative effects on my networking and prevent it from coming back?

Have fun,
    Markus
Working...
X