This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting an application icon on the desktop

It's supposed to be possible to place an application icon on a desktop by going to the K menu, right-clicking on the application, and selecting "add to desktop". At one time that worked but it works no longer, at least if you have different backgrounds for different desktops. I'm running a fully updated 10.10. In fact the application icons are created -- but all on the same desktop (usually but not always Desktop 1), not the current desktop.

I've reported this as a bug to kde.org and it's been acknowledged as such, but apparently the fix won't be installed until KDE 4.6 arrives. That looks like a long wait. So in the meantime, is there a reasonable workaround for putting application icons on a particular desktop?

Re: Putting an application icon on the desktop

You could use right click new/link to application. However you need to then configure the icon by right-clicking and selecting properties.

In many cases it's easier than it sounds as often simply putting the programme name into the command section will make the link properly functional. Also, if you have installed the program via the package manager, the proper icon for it should also be available from the properties section.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Found an easier way.......
      Navigate the kmenu till you get to the application you want. Then drag it onto the desktop and when released select "link here".

Done!

HTH

Comment

Dragging doesn't work for me

I can get "link to application" to work for me -- but I can't get the dragging method to work. In fact, I tried that myself a while ago and I've just tried it again. If I go to an application on the K menu, hold down the left mouse button, and move the mouse, the arrow cursor moves but the application doesn't. In other words, dragging simply has no effect. I wonder why I'm getting a different result than you are.

Comment

Just guessing as I'm at a win box right now, but maybe widgets need to be unlocked?

One other point - my desktop is folder view showing the desktop folder - don't know whether that's significant

Comment

Working...
          X