This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Problems

Downloaded LibreOffice 3.3 beta 2 (LibO_3.3.0_beta2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz), and it gives every indication of having installed okay. Initial LO splash screen appears and then quickly disappears.

Running in command line...
    $ libreoffice -calc %U
    KCrash: Application 'soffice.bin' crashing...
    Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
    KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.

Has anyone else experienced trouble installing and running LibreOffice beta 2?
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Re: LibreOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Problems

Try running without the %U
    That is a placeholder for applications that want to open it with a filename.
    libreoffice -calc
    goes fine here.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

doctordruidphd: Thanks for the input. In the interim, in need of a working office suite, I downloaded OOo 3.3 RC 2, which is working fine. Once LibreOffice gets to the final 3.3 release, 'I shall return!'

Comment

Right, you shouldn't feel bad because the beta 2 didn't work as OOo 3.2.1 did before, it's still a beta. You didn't have to see what weird things happened while using or configuring beta 1!
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Okay, I'm back again. Really wanting to get away from anything remotely associated with Oracle, I thought I'd give LibreOffice 3.3 rc 1 a try. However, same problem as before.

I've manually installed OOo from the command line, perhaps as many as 10 times, using 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. Each time has been an unqualified success.

Doing so with LibreOffice yields the same results as the original post. The only way I can run LO is to kdesu it, and that's not a good idea.

What's up here?

Comment

Only thing I can think is to make sure you have read and execute rights in /opt/libreoffice3, and that you in fact own ~/.libreoffice

What I found, to my dismay, is that installing lo-rc1 seriously whacked my ooo installation. Apparently it replaced a bunch of ooo's files with its own, located in the /opt directory. Well, I'm no fan of oracle, but ooo is mission-critical, and if they're not going to co-exist, then lo has to go until it's stable and supported. Guess I have to do a reinstall on everything openoffice.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Vielen Dank, Herr Doktor. Yeah, I agree that LO is doing some very, very wacky things. Now at boot up my laptop is pausing at the splash screen until I click on it, and then it progresses normally. Didn't happen until I had installed LO.

Like you, I rely on the office package, so LO's coming off again, and OOo rc8 is going back on. I just had hoped for some progress.

Check my profile. I'm in the Pacific NW also (used to be in Astoria, OR). Looks like we're in for a dreary weekend.

Comment

Looks like we're in for a dreary weekend.
                Yeah, I'm in Gray's Harbor Co, WA. They promised us snow this weekend, but looks like it's defaulted to rain. That's the ONLY thing I miss from living in the mtns of SoCal.

I have high hopes for LO. I hope Ubuntu will eventually package it, and somehow get it to peacefully co-exist with OOO.

Comment

I tried OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 and I was not impressed with it at all. Last night I found 64B deb files for LibreOffice 3.3 RC1 at:

http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

This morning, I now find that they are up to RC2 and am currently downloading it. I must say that it is much better than OpenOffice 3.3 and I am very pleased with it. You can also have OpenOffice 3.2 installed with it as well. This was not the case for Oracle OpenOffice 3.3 which required the removal of 3.2.

Three cheers for LibreOffice .

Comment

I downloaded the rc1 a couple days ago and encountered the same problem. Here is what I had to use in the command pathway of the Menu item:
                    /opt/libreoffice/program/soffice
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

After downloading libreoffice, I extracted it to ~/Desktop. I then renamed the directory in which it was placed to libreoffice. I then issued the console command:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/libreoffice/DEBS/*.deb
                      After this I found the name of the file in the directory ~/Desktop/libreoffice/DEBS/desktop-integration/. In my case the command I issued was:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/libreoffice/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.3-debian-menus_3.3-4_all.deb
                      The desktop integration puts the icon and command in the menu and I did not have to do anything extra to get it to work using the menu.

I now have RC2 and encountered problems when I installed it this way after already having RC1 installed. I ended up using Synaptic to totally remove all libreoffice and then repeated the install. The main problem that I now have with RC2 is that, as I have an additional monitor, it no longer uses both screens when doing a presentation, ie one to control and the other to display. I can only assume that they are working on this feature which could certainly do with some improvement.

The remaining problem that I have is that it cannot load a pptx file. It just exists without a wimp. At least I still have 3.2 which will do this for me.

Comment

Today I found the way to add the ppa for LibreOffice. You will find it at:
                        http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-177762.shtml
                        In this guide which is for ubuntu, they use the command gksu, I used sudo instead. At least with the ppa you can be assured that the latest version is always available and that it should work with kubuntu 10.10

Since I had installed it by downloading the file using the previous procedure I posted, I found that it was best to remove it with the command:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get purge "libreoffice*.*"
                        Hope you have success with this procedure

Comment

Working...
                        X