X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) Skype video not working - black screen

I've tested the camera as follows:

I can only get the video working with Skype by entering LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype in Konsole.

Cheese = I can see the image and take photos. As soon as I get to recording, I get a black screen but when I check back it actually recorded.

Ekiga = I can see the image. I only installed to test and have since uninstalled because no-one I know uses Ekiga/SIP accounts.

Any advice for me?

UPDATE: 27 Oct 2010
    I'm running Skype from the above-mentioned script in a application launcher that I use in AWN.

Re: Skype video not working - black screen

Can I assume that you have clicked on the litte icon at the the bottom left of Skype, selected options then video and made sure Skype is trying to use the right video device?

Comment

Hi Detonate
      yip, did the options-thing first. That is how I figured out it's not working.
      By the way, it's a built-in camera on an Acer Aspire 3680. I think it's Logitek

Comment

I don't know then, my USB camera works fine with skype.

Comment

LOL thanks anyway Detonate.
          You know what, perhaps I should just go and get myself a proper USB camera. That might just solve the problem for me.
          It looks like you might have just saved the day - even if it means another usb-wire around the back of my desk.
          Cheers and thanks

Comment

I seem to have the best luck with those that use the uvcvideo driver. This is most Logitech cameras. Mine is a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.

Comment

Use "lsmod | grep video" in a Konsole and tell us what module is driving your webcam. For me that command shows:
              Code:
              $ lsmod | grep video
              uvcvideo        62595 0 
              videodev        40518 1 uvcvideo
              v4l1_compat      15495 2 uvcvideo,videodev
              v4l2_compat_ioctl32  11764 1 videodev
              video         20623 1 i915
              output         2503 1 video
              which shows that my built in webcam (a Richo) using uvcvideo, supported by v4l1_compat modules. The "video" is my LCD display, driven by the Intel i915 driver.

There may be a parm or two that can be configured to make your camera work better.

And if not, allow me to recommend the Logitech C260 USB webcam. In fact, I have had excellent results with all the C2** series Logitech webcams, but the C260 is the fastest, most compatible and gives EXCELLENT video in low light conditions.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@Detonate - thanks for the tip of the USB camera. Will follow that advice.

@GreyGeek - hi there, here's the output
                ~$ lsmod | grep vide
                videodev 43098 1 gspca_main
                v4l1_compat 13359 1 videodev
                video 18712 1 i915
                output 1883 1 video

It'll make more sense to you than me LOL

Comment

I can speak from experience that GG's camera works great in Skype.

Comment

LOL, that's what I love about these forums. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.
                    I'm trying to get my stuff sorted because I've got a friend who would like to dual boot with Windows 7 (I think) and Kubuntu. She just loves all the bells & whistles of my startup, app sounds, exploding windows and of course the ultimate magnet . . . all the legally free stuff (giving an evil grin)

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz
                      @Detonate - thanks for the tip of the USB camera. Will follow that advice.

@GreyGeek - hi there, here's the output
                      ~$ lsmod | grep vide
                      videodev 43098 1 gspca_main
                      v4l1_compat 13359 1 videodev
                      video 18712 1 i915
                      output 1883 1 video

It'll make more sense to you than me LOL
                      Well, for the gspca_main module there is only parm: debug. Not much help. But, that module was chosen by upstart (HAL's prodigy) but it could be wrong. There are other gspca based modules in the kernel:
                      jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ locate *gspca*.ko | grep 32-25
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_conex.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_etoms.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_finepix.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_jeilinj.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_main.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_mars.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_mr97310a.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov519.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov534.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_pac207.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_pac7311.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sn9c20x.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sonixb.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sonixj.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca500.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca501.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca505.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca506.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca508.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_spca561.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sq905.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sq905c.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_stk014.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sunplus.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_t613.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_tv8532.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_vc032x.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_zc3xx.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gl860/gspca_gl860.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/m5602/gspca_m5602.ko
                      /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/stv06xx/gspca_stv06xx.ko
                      One of them may more closely match your webcam. Show us the output of "lspci". We may be able to identify more accurately which gspca type camera you have. And, "sudo lshw" would give some nice info too.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Here goes the output for "lscpi"

tanya@acer-aspire-3680:~$ lspci
                        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
                        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
                        00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
                        00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
                        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
                        00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
                        00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
                        00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                        00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                        00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
                        00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
                        00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
                        00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
                        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
                        00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
                        00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
                        02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
                        0a:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
                        0a:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
                        0a:09.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)

Comment

mmm... me too.
                          I don't see anything in that lspci listing that I could identify as a webcam.

What does "sudo lshw" show?

Comment

Does your webcam have a physical on/off switch on your computer? Because as GG says, there does not seem to be anything listed that could be a webcam. Could the camera have been inactivated?

Comment

Good point, Detonator!

A bios setting change, perhaps? One of the leads or circuit board traces broken, or with a crack?

lshw should show it.

Comment

Working...
                              X