X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot play/open audio CD in Amarok, KsCD or Dolphin

Hi,

I cannot open an audio CD whien inserted in the device.

device notifier recognises it and offer actions to open, but when amarok or kscd try to open the cd, they fail. Even Dolphin cannot open it and get an error in reading the device.

On the other hand, I can corretly open the audio cd with K3B for ripping.

Is there some solution for that?

Regards,
    Valter

Re: Cannot play/open audio CD in Amarok, KsCD or Dolphin

I also have problem with KsCD, but in a different way. I get the message no disc but the playlist is there.

My advise to the treed poster;

remove the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

ore rather backup it like this:

sudo mv /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.oldrules

THEN Restart your computer (easiest that way).

That is what I tried, have done some changes to my system (removed one of my dvd players, dont need three optical devices).

I haved seen a lot of old bug report on the net thats its a problem with KsCD if you have more then one device.

http://www.google.com/search?q=KsCD++device+bug

Bay the way, its not possible to remove the program from the system, because then aptitude will then remove kde-full and kdemultimedia, almost the whole system! - thats really crappy!

Comment

EDIT:

to get both my optical devices (one cdrom writer and one dvd writer) to read cd I have to write same rule
      for /dev/cdrom at both. Dont knw if its the right wy to do it, the dv will not play mre tan the beginning on each songs,but a east I can open both location in dolphin and pay my cds in the cddrom.

My..
      /etc/udev/rules.d$nano 70-persistent-cd.rules

.. know looks like:

# CD-RW_CRX160E (pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0)
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

# CDDVDW_SH-S223C (pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0)
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="dvd2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1

# Virt._CD_DVD-ROM (platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:1:0)
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:1:0", SYMLINK+="dvd3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

# Virt._CD_DVD-ROM (platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:0:0)
      SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom4", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
      #SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vhba-scsi-0:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd4", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

I have also ested KsCD 4:4.5.85-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1 from the http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/beta/ubuntu/ reposery, but no luck with it (same problems).

the only advice I can get to altermura is to use the media player Bngarang instead. It has quite nice interface!

(excuse my bad english)

Comment

The media players name is: Bangarang

(missed an "a", and some other spelling to, sorry)

Comment

Have you added the requiered proprietary codecs needed for playing audio CDs (assuming they are commercial music CDs)?

See Medibuntu

Note, that even having added the required packages to play audio CDs and commercial DVDs (playback), Amarok won't reliably, if at all, play you audio CDs. Amarok isn't being developed to do so - believe it or not. :P
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dont forget, Valtemura have problems with kscd also. But that application was probably not eider meant to play cd ;-)

Comment

That statement about Amarok "not being developed" to play cds is rather....well.......... amazing....

Please see my thread on qmmp which I am going to make in a minute stating that it does, indeed play cds.

woodsmoke

Comment

I agree, its a stupid statement or a stupid build program, especially when theres a function in Amarok to add media and that Kubuntu as default puts it in the service menu when a CD is insert.

Theres have been several problem whit cd in Linux distros over the years and I don't know why is such problem (i am not a programmer, besides in web development). Its one of those problem that stop "us" fighting the big drakes.

Comment

-- edit removed, the link I posted was quite old --

Comment

Working...
                  X