This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperTuxKart

I recently installed SuperTuxKart. At first, a window would appear for a second and then vanish; then for some reason i was able to start it up a few times, but it crashed as soon as I tried to load a race. Any ideas?

Re: SuperTuxKart

Did you install in from the repositories - using KPackageKit (it's available from there)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I did. It's back to crashing on startup now.

Comment

Extremely inconsistent results. I've now been able to run it properly, but it is almost unplayable due to a mess of overlapping textures appearing over the kart. Also, when I exit the game, my panels are gone.

Comment

Time to tell us about your PC - video card, amount of installed RAM, speed of CPU, etc.

Comment

Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, four or five years old. KDE 4.5.1, Linux kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (incidentally, how do I upgrade that?).
            Processor: Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3500+
            Total Physical Memory: 1.84 GB
            Graphics: ATI Technologies Radeon Xpress 200M

Comment

Your GPU is the likely suspect here. Initially, go into K > System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advancedand mark/check Disable functionality checks, save, and reboot to see if there is any improvement.

Comment

No luck. What exactly does that do?

Comment

It runs okay in Windows (shudder) on the same machine. Could it be a driver issue? It lists Mesa DRI R300 (RS400 5975) 20090101 NO-TCL DRI2 as the renderer, 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel as the OpenGL version, and radeon as the kernel module.

Comment

Try to disable desktop effects before running...

The GFX engine for STK is currently changing, you can get alpha/beta versions--

https://launchpad.net/~stk/+archive/dev
                    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

jpenguine's suggestion should help
                      I just installed it and it ran ok on a 64 bit with 2 gig ram 6600 nvidia card so it might also, if jpenguine's idea doesn't hlep just be hardwre.

And the NEW version is a LOT better than the older one, I slopped on the bannana peels! lol
                      woodsmoke

Comment

After updating, the window appears and the game begins to load, but then it minimizes and the taskbar entry shows circling arrows for a few minutes, then goes away, even with desktop effects disabled.

I might just give up on this game :P

Comment

I am a SVN tester of STK, and I have to disable desktop effects- but the game runs fine for me...

You can run glxgears fine, right?

Post in the STK Forums, http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewforum.php?f=16, and make sure to include-- the kernel version & GFX Driver
                          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                          X