X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE desktop cube

Attached is our wedding pic, Dec 16, 1962
    Attached Files
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Awwwwww... How sweet!

You have the same haircut my dad did that year. I was 11 months old!

You'll soon be having a 50-year anniversary! That's incredible and something to be very proud of.

Please Read Me

Comment

I dunno, but the way I did it was:

System/Preferences/Simple Compiz Setting Manager/ Desktop/Desktop Cube

I had to have four columns.

and then press Ctrl-alt and grab with a left click on the mouse and there is the cube.

woodsmoke

Comment

Yes, like I said...

System/Preferences/Simple Compiz Setting Manager/ Desktop/Desktop Cube
          ...I'm not using compiz.

I was trying to figure out if kwin had the ability to

rotate the cube
          using the mouse
          without typing CRTL-F11 first.

It appears the answer is "no."

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

I was trying to figure out if kwin had the ability to

rotate the cube
            using the mouse
            without typing CRTL-F11 first.

It appears the answer is "no."
            Yes it does!

I'm away from my system atm, but there are two steps to get "the cube" as offered by Kubuntu.

1. You first have to change the number of virtual desktops from the default 2 to 4. I'm having trouble remembering the exact path to get to that, but it's in desktop settings somewhere.

2. K > System Settings > Desktop Effects, enable compositing, enable "cube", and "apply", and you should be good to go. Using the mouse wheel to turn to the next desktop works great on my system -- I have not bothered to install compiz because the kwin effects are fully sufficient to let me "spin" the desktops.

Comment

Odd how desktop effects cause sound "effects", just a guess... on-board sound AND video with shared memory?
              The "crackling sound" that I get on my 64B laptop when the desktop effects are enabled is unrelated to the on-board sound AND video with shared memory. I get it when I play a CD or use Skype Echo / Sound Test Service. Neither of these involve video. Also, I have external speakers plugged into the laptop and I have also tried USB speakers which also give the crackling sound. My sound driver uses PulseAudio.

Sometimes when I enable desktop effects, I get a message from KWin Window Manager about slow desktop response. The cursor is slow and menu actions slow down. There is nothing in the system showing high cpu useage. I now suspect that the degradation in sound quality is related to the slow down in desktop response with desktop effects enabled. A solution this this problem would be appreciated.

Comment

dibl: I should have been more specific on my last post - I can rotate the cube with the mouse wheel (4 desktops already enabled), but I can't grab the cube with the left or right mouse button and manually manipulate it unless I hit CRTL-F11 first.

This was a feature that was available with compiz since kde3, but I can't make it work without compiz using kde4.

It's really not that big of a deal anyway - I was just looking to see if I had missed it somewhere. I don't think kwin has that feature available.

Please Read Me

Comment

I can't grab the cube with the left or right mouse button and manually manipulate it unless I hit CRTL-F11 first.
                  Right. The *buntu version of "Desktop Cube" does not allow the "grab and rotate" like compiz. You have to install and configure compiz to get that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    Right. The *buntu version of "Desktop Cube" does not allow the "grab and rotate" like compiz. You have to install and configure compiz to get that.

Not so. At least, not here on my 10.10 running KDE 4.5.3. With the Cube activated as well as Desktop Cube Animation, all I have to do is active the cube (Alt+F11) and then right-click+hold the mouse and I can rotate the cube.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In Kwin the only way I can see (without using key combination) to start cube grab is by setting screen edge, this is the method I use and prefer. In compiz the default is middle button click and hold on desktop/workspace.

I like the screen edge setting it's especially fun when someone else uses your computer.
                      Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        One option would be to use btnx, which allows you to reroute mouse buttons as key presses (among other things), so you can map a button to produce Ctrl+F11 -keypress (you can of course set a different shortcut for the cube action).

Since you probably need the regular buttons for other things, I'd recommend this only if you have a multi-button mouse (more than three buttons)

(Could be doable with input actions/mouse gestures as well, but haven't tried)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

With the Cube activated as well as Desktop Cube Animation, all I have to do is active the cube (Alt+F11) and then right-click+hold the mouse and I can rotate the cube.
                          It doesn't work that way for me -- all I see with a right-click is the desktop settings menu, before or after Alt-F11. Ctrl-F11 makes it "quiver", Alt-F11 does nothing at all. Must depend on your graphics driver. But the mousewheel switching works just fine, same as compiz.

Comment

Sorry, ment left+click+hold the mouse (at least here) to get the 'closed hand' which then allows rotation/tilting of the cube.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                            X