Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KPackageKit vs. Synaptic: Which one takes precedence?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KPackageKit vs. Synaptic: Which one takes precedence?

After upgrading to Maverick a few days ago I noticed that KPackageKit was improved/extended: Now it's possible to have it check for updates hourly and to automatically install all updates.

Nevertheless, I still prefer Synaptic. However, it only offers the option to automatically install security updates and to check for updates once a day. This raises the question: Which one takes precedence?

In /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades I found the following lines:
    Code:
    // Automatically upgrade packages from these (origin, archive) pairs
    Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
    	"${distro_id} stable";
    	"${distro_id} ${distro_codename}-security";
    //	"${distro_id} ${distro_codename}-updates";
    //	"${distro_id} ${distro_codename}-proposed-updates";
    };
    This means that only security-updates are automatically installed - although I chose all updates in KPackageKit.So what's the purpose of that option? Are there any settings which ensure that those options are relevant for my system?

I simply don't understand the interaction between KPackageKit, Synaptic and the settings under /etc/apt/apt.con.d/ . Can someone offer an explanation?

Re: KPackageKit vs. Synaptic: Which one takes precedence?

KPackageKit ignores those settings entirely. Its own configuration is also entirely separate from that. So you have two places to configure that, and since KPK isn't following standards it'll do its own thing even when system config is to do another thing. :/

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
      ...since KPK isn't following standards it'll do its own thing even when system config is to do another thing. :/
      Whoa! Taking control and user choice away from the end user? Who was behind that brilliant decission? :P
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

KPackageKit ignores those settings entirely. Its own configuration is also entirely separate from that. So you have two places to configure that, and since KPK isn't following standards it'll do its own thing even when system config is to do another thing. :/
        Yes, but again: Which one takes precedence? I have KPackageKit configured in such a way that it installs all updates automatically. It doesn't do that but I get a notification that updates are available instead. But why? Is it because I've also installed Synaptic, or is it because the settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ say otherwise? So either KPackageKit is in conflict with those settings (and they take precedence), or these options in KPackageKit do not work at all.

Comment

Both. If the standard cron job runs first, it'll do it. But if KPackageKit does it first, it will do it. It depends on which one gets around to checking first, which may vary.

Comment

Both. If the standard cron job runs first, it'll do it. But if KPackageKit does it first, it will do it. It depends on which one gets around to checking first, which may vary.
            Thanks! That's unfortunate. On https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ecurityUpdates are hints how to do automatic security updates (and I guess you could do it for all updates if you uncomment "${distro_id} ${distro_codename}-updates"; in 50unattended-upgrades). But I'm not sure if this really helps to make everything consistent.

Comment

Is that why it keeps popping up in my task manager even though I've disabled it? Annoying.

Comment

Working...
              X