This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Where's KDE 4.5.2

Okay, new install of 10.10 today, form the LiveCD downloaded on 10-10-10. I've added the deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu maverick main repository and gpg key, and updated the package cache. But, no KDE 4.5.2 upgrades. What's with that?

Added:
    Got it. The repository above is not correct, so I'v removed it. Instead, you have to add this repository:

ppa:kubuntu-ppa

Then the update identifies (for me, as of this moment) 140 udated packages. Going to upgrade now.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Where's KDE 4.5.2

How weird!

I just entered...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa

and I updated apt-get and just installed the packages...
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Where's KDE 4.5.2

What exactly is the correct deb line to provide to Synaptic?

The add-apt-repository line gave me this:
      Code:
      root@Suillus:/home/pwa# add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
      Error reading [url]https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa:[/url] <urlopen error [Errno 2] No such file or directory>
      r

Comment

Not in my case where it downloaded the GPG key and then added the repository to apt.
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          What exactly is the correct deb line to provide to Synaptic?

The add-apt-repository line gave me this:
          Code:
          root@Suillus:/home/pwa# add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
          Error reading [url]https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa:[/url] <urlopen error [Errno 2] No such file or directory>
          r
          You forgot "sudo" in front of the command.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I guess he used sudo su before to enter the command without typing any other sudo.
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Yup, you're right. I didn't see the "root" at the start of the prompt. Time to get some bi-focals.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So how to do this?

Indeed, I was already in a root shell when I issued the add-apt-repository command. When I'm doing a lot of root-shell stuff, I usually just do sudo su instead of attaching sudo to each individual command. I also keep a non-root shell open for non-root stuff.

But in any event, I still don't know what the correct deb line is, and as I noted, add-apt-repository didn't work for me. I'd be grateful if someone who created that line with add-apt-repository can look in their repository list and post it here.

Comment

Attempt it from a 'non-root' shell:
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
                  The environment that is used after executing sudo su is different than when executing sudo command from your users shell.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For grins I ran the repository install command on my Lucid box. It appeared to work and came back without any error messages, but it did not work because "uname -r" didn't resolve to "Maverick" because I am running Lucid. My sources.list file did not contain the kubuntu-ppa.

Comment

add-apt-repository problems

On one box I got add-apt-repository to work as advertised. But on this box I still get the error, even using sudo by itself:
                      Code:
                      pwa@Suillus:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa

Comment

Working...
                      X