This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Where's KDE 4.5.2

Okay, new install of 10.10 today, form the LiveCD downloaded on 10-10-10. I've added the deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu maverick main repository and gpg key, and updated the package cache. But, no KDE 4.5.2 upgrades. What's with that?

Added:
    Got it. The repository above is not correct, so I'v removed it. Instead, you have to add this repository:

ppa:kubuntu-ppa

Then the update identifies (for me, as of this moment) 140 udated packages. Going to upgrade now.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Where's KDE 4.5.2

How weird!

I just entered...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa

and I updated apt-get and just installed the packages...
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Where's KDE 4.5.2

What exactly is the correct deb line to provide to Synaptic?

The add-apt-repository line gave me this:
      Code:
      root@Suillus:/home/pwa# add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
      Error reading [url]https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa:[/url] <urlopen error [Errno 2] No such file or directory>
      r

Comment

Not in my case where it downloaded the GPG key and then added the repository to apt.
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          What exactly is the correct deb line to provide to Synaptic?

The add-apt-repository line gave me this:
          Code:
          root@Suillus:/home/pwa# add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
          Error reading [url]https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa:[/url] <urlopen error [Errno 2] No such file or directory>
          r
          You forgot "sudo" in front of the command.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I guess he used sudo su before to enter the command without typing any other sudo.
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Yup, you're right. I didn't see the "root" at the start of the prompt. Time to get some bi-focals.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So how to do this?

Indeed, I was already in a root shell when I issued the add-apt-repository command. When I'm doing a lot of root-shell stuff, I usually just do sudo su instead of attaching sudo to each individual command. I also keep a non-root shell open for non-root stuff.

But in any event, I still don't know what the correct deb line is, and as I noted, add-apt-repository didn't work for me. I'd be grateful if someone who created that line with add-apt-repository can look in their repository list and post it here.

Comment

Attempt it from a 'non-root' shell:
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
                  The environment that is used after executing sudo su is different than when executing sudo command from your users shell.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For grins I ran the repository install command on my Lucid box. It appeared to work and came back without any error messages, but it did not work because "uname -r" didn't resolve to "Maverick" because I am running Lucid. My sources.list file did not contain the kubuntu-ppa.

Comment

add-apt-repository problems

On one box I got add-apt-repository to work as advertised. But on this box I still get the error, even using sudo by itself:
                      Code:
                      pwa@Suillus:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa

Comment

Working...
                      X