This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot Print Photos with GIMP

Since most people report that they can print from GIMP it would be difficult to determine what your problem is Without YOUR specific hardware and setup. Perhaps someone could connect remotely to your PC and check it out.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For my printer, gutenprint does not have my printer listed. Even when I have installed the packages listed by GreyGeek.
      Gutenprint did not see my printer, either, I had to set it up.

You need to have an image open in gimp.
      Select Print with gutenprint, then New Printer. Give it a name, then choose Setup Printer.
      You need to give it the ppd file used for your printer, probably located somewhere in /usr/share/ppd. Which means, of course, you will need a ppd file for your printer. I assume you have one, since the other applications are printing. I did notice that under Printer Make, there are several samsung printers listed, maybe yours is there?

Then you will need to select a printer queue. This should be the one you set up with cups. I chose the "Standard Command" option.

I had to mess around with settings on gutenprint for a while to get it right, but at this point it does work.

Since most people report that they can print from GIMP it would be difficult to determine what your problem is Without YOUR specific hardware and setup.
      HP Photosmart D7260, hplip and cups set up and working.
      Gimp sees the printer. I go to Page Setup, select the printer and paper size, hit OK. It is not remembering that setting; if I go back to that item, the Any Printer and Letter size reappear -- for some reason, it is not remembering that setting, which I think is at the bottom of the problem. After that, I go to Print, set everything up, try preview, and get a blank page. If I print, I do indeed get a blank page. For some reason, it just refuses to take the settings I give it, they just disappear.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. At last it is all now working great .

I found the ppd file for my printer in /etc/cups/ppd/. After setting up the printer with gutenprint, I saved the settings and it remembers them when I bring up other pictures.

I was hoping that this version of kubuntu would be close to a user friendly desktop. Unfortunately with all the basic problems that I have been encountering, it is not there yet. It is a bit of a pity that I cannot honestly recommend kubuntu to my non-computer-literate friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
          I was hoping that this version of kubuntu would be close to a user friendly desktop. Unfortunately with all the basic problems that I have been encountering, it is not there yet. It is a bit of a pity that I cannot honestly recommend kubuntu to my non-computer-literate friends.
          You also cannot honestly say that they wouldn't have an "everything works out of the box" experience either, which would more likely be the case since most folks have exactly that kind of experience. Your exception doesn't make the rule. And, unlike proprietary OS's, it doesn't cost your "non-computer-literate friends" anything to try it as a LiveCD. More than likely they won't run into the printing problem you experienced.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Re: [Solved] Cannot Print Photos with GIMP

Gimp 2.6.10 evidently has a bug in printing. It got so bad that, even following my own instructions, I could not print, even with gutneprint.
            I downloaded 2.6.11 from getdeb -- why it is not in the ubuntu repositories, not even beta or experimental, I cannot imagine. Prints fine now, both from its own print function, and from gutenprint.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

mmm... my problem free gimp is at 2.6.8.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                Gimp 2.6.10 evidently has a bug in printing. It got so bad that, even following my own instructions, I could not print, even with gutneprint.
                I downloaded 2.6.11 from getdeb -- why it is not in the ubuntu repositories, not even beta or experimental, I cannot imagine. Prints fine now, both from its own print function, and from gutenprint.
                Thanks for the advice - works great . I got the ppa for installing gimp 2.6.11 at http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/insta...buntu-ppa.html

Comment

Working...
                X