This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot Print Photos with GIMP

Thanks to you all for the support you are giving regarding this printing problem.

So I think there's a problem between foomatic-db and foomatic-db-hpijs. But it says the foomatic-db package is the replacement, so maybe you can remove foomatic-db-hpijs and then install foomatic-db and get a different result.
    I could not find foomatic-db-hpijs so I removed hpijs. After doing this I got the dependants shown in the graphic. This looked quite safe, but when I went to install foomatic-db I got a message that the kubuntu-desktop would be removed . I decided to not proceed but should I have continued and would I still have my desktop?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
      when I went to install foomatic-db I got a message that the kubuntu-desktop would be removed . I decided to not proceed but should I have continued and would I still have my desktop?
      kubuntu-desktop is a so-called "meta-package" -- a wrapper that pulls in the default suite of KDE and *buntu packages for your new installation of Kubuntu. But, after installation, it does not pull the packages back out if you remove it. You can demonstrate this by using apt-get with the "-s" option, to simulate the action:

Code:
      don@meerkat:~$ sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop -s
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree    
      Reading state information... Done
      The following packages will be REMOVED:
       kubuntu-desktop
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Remv kubuntu-desktop [1.205]
      As you can see, nothing else is to be removed.

(Note that I can't guarantee that this will make your gimp printing work as you desire ... ).

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Guess I'm a dummy - I don't see "Dependants" anywhere except for my kids when they ask for money. I do see "Dependencies" in several locations however. Hey, I'm not even afraid to click on a drop-down menu and still, no Dependants... hmmm... maybe there's a wiki page for Synaptic Menus for Dummies because clearly, some of us need one.
        Don't talk to me, I didn't come up with "Dependants" (with "a", not "e"), but that's exactly what it's named there:

Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Linux is full of, shall we say "non-standard", word usages. My favorite is "deprecated" -- it actually means "spoken badly of", and has nothing to do with the state of obsolescence of anything.

So, if a relationship of "dependency" allegedly exists, then I'm ok with calling one of them a "dependent" here in the U.S., but I guess if there's money involved, then the British must call it a "dependant", or so says MSN.

Comment

Suggestion:

Try the following command and post the output. The command is harmless, as it is only a simulation, but it will tell you exactly what is going to happen if you run it for real. It should give a list of exactly what will be installed, and what will be removed.

sudo apt-get install --simulate gimp-gutenprint
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
              Guess I'm a dummy - I don't see "Dependants" anywhere except for my kids when they ask for money. I do see "Dependencies" in several locations however. Hey, I'm not even afraid to click on a drop-down menu and still, no Dependants... hmmm... maybe there's a wiki page for Synaptic Menus for Dummies because clearly, some of us need one.
              Don't talk to me, I didn't come up with "Dependants" (with "a", not "e"), but that's exactly what it's named there:

Interesting ... "Dependencies" on the tab, "Dependents" on the combo box.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                (Note that I can't guarantee that this will make your gimp printing work as you desire ... ).
                Thanks for the assurance that nothing would go amiss, I did remove foomatic-db but it made no difference to my inability to print pictures with gimp. Gutenprint will print images onto A4 paper but I cannot select the photo tray with this option.

I sometimes think that I am the only one with this problem. I also installed Kubuntu 10.10 into the Windows partition on my laptop. This has 64B processors and it is giving the same result, ie cannot print pictures to my HP Photosmart C7280 Printer using the HP driver.

I am starting to wonder if errors have been made in porting packages to 10.10. It is some time since I have been involved in compiling software, but I do recall the warning messages that often occur. I am wondering if by neglecting some warnings, such problems can occur. I have also had trouble getting Googleearth to work and noticed numerous warning type messages during the "make". The only way I could get Googleearth to work was to cancel the tips window on startup and then stop it from ever being started in the Googleearth Tools > Options > General.

I look forward to the time when I get an update that fixes this problem.

Comment

I have the exact printer and no issues - but it's on a server hooked via usb but I'm using cups to print. I didn't see that you replied as to whether or not you're using cups.

So in my setup - the server has the printer drivers (using only cups) and gimp is printing from my desktop.

The only gutenprint packages installed on my server are libgutenprint2 and cups-driver-gutenprint, the hp packages are hpijs, hplip, hplip-data. I setup the printer via cups using Photosmart_c7200.ppd and Photosmart_c7200_fax.ppd

I wish I could be of more help.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have the exact printer and no issues - but it's on a server hooked via usb but I'm using cups to print. I didn't see that you replied as to whether or not you're using cups.

So in my setup - the server has the printer drivers (using only cups) and gimp is printing from my desktop.

The only gutenprint packages installed on my server are libgutenprint2 and cups-driver-gutenprint, the hp packages are hpijs, hplip, hplip-data. I setup the printer via cups using Photosmart_c7200.ppd and Photosmart_c7200_fax.ppd

I wish I could be of more help.
                    I appreciate the help you are giving. The difference between your system and mine is that I have the printer connected via Ethernet to a Netgear wireless router. I setup the printer using the HPLIP Toolbox which locates the printer connected to the router. So it seems as though it is the HP printer driver that interfaces between applications and the printer. This works fine for OpenOffice but not for gimp!

I do have cups installed but I could not find a way for the HP Device Manager to use cups. I have attached the cups packages that I have installed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Cups doesn't need the HP device manager - which could be your problem. Try this:

1. Look and see if you have the ppd's I listed. If no; download them. Note the location of the ppd's
                      2. Open a terminal and type hp-makeuri <PRINTER IP ADDRESS>. Note results.
                      3. Open a browser and type localhost:631 in the url bar. You should immediately get the cups interface. If no; start cups service and try again.
                      4. Click the "Administration" tab and "Add Printers". It will search a bit - possibly locating your printer. If not; select the option that mirrors the URI from step 2 and enter the URI, it should ask you to enter the path to the ppd file and some other options (it's been awhile since I've done this). Answer them and attempt a test page.

If all seems to be in order, try gimp again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
                        I appreciate the help you are giving. The difference between your system and mine is that I have the printer connected via Ethernet to a Netgear wireless router. I setup the printer using the HPLIP Toolbox which locates the printer connected to the router. So it seems as though it is the HP printer driver that interfaces between applications and the printer. This works fine for OpenOffice but not for gimp!

I do have cups installed but I could not find a way for the HP Device Manager to use cups. I have attached the cups packages that I have installed.
                        I have my Samsung ML-1210 laser printer connected ad-hoc to a linksys wireless print server with a USB cable. The wireless print server is connected to my wireless router via a short ethernet cable. I have set the wireless print server to serve a static IP address of 192.168.1.99 to the Samsung printer. My wireless router dispenses IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.100 so regardless of what order anyone connect to it there will never be IP address conflict with any PC printer settings.

Prior to setting it up that why I had the printer connected to the wireless and I would always turn it on first to be sure that it got the *.100 IP address and would configure the laptops to connect with the printer at *.100. But, as you might guess, that didn't always work because sometimes I or my wife would forget to turn on the printer first and then we couldn't print without running through a print re-configuration again. Now, the cable modem, the wireless router, the wireless print server and the laser printer are on the same power strip and I plug it in and turn the switch on the strip to turn everything on. The printer always connects and never fails to print from ANY application.

Here are my settings;
                        Description: Laser printer in living room
                        Driver: Samsung ML-1210 Foomatic/gdi (recommended) (grayscale)
                        Connection: socket://192.168.1.99:9100
                        The HP printer manager can use socket settings to connect to a wireless printer as well.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I can assure you that my printer has a static IP address, which in my case is 192.168.10.7. All computers connected to the router use either a static IP or the IP address set in the router. So there is no IP address conflict. The HP printer has a setup mode where the IP address can be defined for both the wired and wireless connections. When I setup the HP device manager I used the wired connection to the printer which the HP device manager found.

I had mentioned that gimp was the only package that could not print to the HP printer. The packages that I have tried are OpenOffice, Adobe Reader, Thunderbird and Kate. To me it seems as though there is something amiss in gimp print.

Comment

Like the others, I have no problems printing from GIMP. I've attached a list of the packages related to gimp that I have installed for comparison with what you have installed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

For what it's worth, no way can I get gimp to print from it's own print option -- all I get out of it is blank pages. I have to use gutenprint, which fortunately does work here. Everything else seems to print fine -- firefox, thunderbird, ooo, even photoprint. Not sure why it's so fussy.
                              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

For a while I thought that I was the only one having trouble with gimp. Thank you for letting me know that you are having the exact same problem that I have .

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                                For what it's worth, no way can I get gimp to print from it's own print option -- all I get out of it is blank pages. I have to use gutenprint, which fortunately does work here. Everything else seems to print fine -- firefox, thunderbird, ooo, even photoprint. Not sure why it's so fussy.
                                For my printer, gutenprint does not have my printer listed. Even when I have installed the packages listed by GreyGeek.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                                Like the others, I have no problems printing from GIMP. I've attached a list of the packages related to gimp that I have installed for comparison with what you have installed.
                                The only way that I can get a photo printed on paper in the photo tray is to copy the image into openoffice after setting the page size to that of the paper in the photo tray. This is not what I call a suitable solution.

I really think that those who did the packaging of gimp for kubuntu should take a close look at what has been done especially for any errors.

Comment

Working...
                                X