This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdm fails to start following massive update, yesterday

Ran and update yesterday. Appeared to be a large KDE update as 209 packages downloaded/installed. Attempted to start the laptop today and I'm confronted with a message: "Cannot open them file/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ethais" and the machine defaults into a console session.

I tried to start manually by logging into the console session and typing "start kdm" and the following error message is returned:

start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=1000 pid=1959 comm="start) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 com="/sbin/init"))

Apparently after the update there was a notification that two configuration files had changed.... but I was going to bed and forgot to review the files... I haven't rebuilt from console in years.

This is happening on my main laptop so help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Re: kdm fails to start following massive update, yesterday

/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc is one of the files that got changed. I always decline to install the new version without checking it out first (guess why).

There should be a file in /etc/kde4/kdm called kdmrc.dpkg-old, or something like that. It usually backs up the old file, but I don't remember the exact name. You could try moving kdmrc to some other name, and the old file to kdmrc (which you will need to do as sudo). The other thing you can try is to delete kdmrc, and do a sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm and see if that installs a useable file.

Another idea: kdm themes are stored in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes. You could edit the kdmrc file, look for the line that has ethais in it, and change the theme to one that actually exists in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes .

Edit: further thought, edit the kdmrc file, look for the line where it says UseTheme=true and change that to false.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for that. Used nano to edit the kdmrc to oxygen (which is what I use) and now the message states: "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen"

Setting the dpkg to reconfigure the kdm didn't work either.

However, setting the UseTheme=false did get me back into kde.

Thanks for you assistance,

Jimbo

Comment

There seem to be quite a few reports surfacing of update problems. Problems have appeared on my system, too, so I'm not quite sure what is going on. Hopefully it will get straightened out with some fixes soon.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

No worries. It would seem my kde is hosed in the end. I can get into kde, but cpu usage is at 100%, ram and swap are maxed out. I'm probably going to have to reinstall meerkat.

Thanks again for your help.

Jimbo

Comment

One thing to try first, is get into konsole, and run top

Sometimes after an update, kded goes nuts. If that is the case, you can kill it and restart your session. That has fixed the problem in the past, though it doesn't seem to be the problem on my system now.

Comment

Shouldn't the kdm command be:

sudo service kdm start

When I upgraded my Natty guest OS the reboot hung before the Kubuntu splash screen displayed. I killed Natty and rebooted into Grub (hold shift key down during the boot until grub starts) and chose the second option -- recovery. On that menu I chose the first option -- continue with normal bootup. Just after the KDE login screen appears, and before the cursor is put into the name box, it breaks and dropped me to a terminal. I logged in and issued
              sudo service kdm start

and the KDE login screen appeared, I logged in and KDE started up normally. The next time I rebooted everything worked fine.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yea ... I saw that same msg ( see the 1st post) after performing an update 2/15/2011 Maverick 10.10.

Here is what worked for me.
                1st sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic
                2nd sudo update-grub

The two steps listed above after holding down the 'Shift' key during boot up. A grub menu should appear.
                Confirming the linux keneral 2.6.35.24 booted in gui mode. And confirm 2.6.35.25 was dumping/crashing on the dbus dameon.

To locate all keneral version on you system execute the following command
                uname -al echo; dpkg -l | grep linux-image-2

(ran across this idea via Ubuntu when someone wanted to remove older kenerals. And I was like why not remove the new keneral.)

- Good luck.
                * Sager NP8120&nbsp; w/ Kubuntu 10.10 vm-ware (VMPlanet)<br />*&nbsp; Sager NP5790&nbsp; Kubuntu 10.10 <br />* Gateway Solo&nbsp; 1100 (rip) KDE 1.1.2

Comment

Working...
                X