This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Decorations Disappearing / Ibus error messages

I'm having a few different issues which may or may not be related.

1) if I use a different window decoration other than the defaults in Kubuntu 10.10 the titlebar starts disappearing and apps stop responding after some time. If I run kwin --replace & it fixes the problem temporarily but it doesn't release control of the terminal back to me (unless I type &). Window effects are turned off.

2) I'm seeing ibus error messages when I run kdesudo kate <path>.
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
    QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewIn stance()
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kate(2040)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

If I run ibus-setup it prompts me to start the ibus daemon so I click yes. Shouldn't this be running all the time automatically?

3) If I run sudo kate /etc/fstab (instead of kdesudo) for example, I get some weird output in terminal. and it doesn't release control back to me.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-fw" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-fw" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    klauncher(2057)/kio (KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave.

I'm not sure if any of these are related but I do know that I did not have these issues using the GNOME window manager...I'd like to continue using KDE if I can get these issues worked out.

I'm a windows convert with quite a few years of network administration / troubleshooting in a MS environment. If there's a problem I know exactly where to go but with Ubuntu/Linux I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting and gathering information. Can someone point me to a good resource? (Doesn't necessarily need to be using GUI tools)

Re: Window Decorations Disappearing / Ibus error messages

Ok I fixed window decorations (#1). I stumbled upon this fix while researching a 4th problem not listed on this post. I'll be descriptive here in case anyone else runs into the same thing.

I received the following error message every time I logged in (there were other apps start as well even though I completely shut off my computer)

No command arguments supplied!
    Usage: kdesudo [-u <runas>] <command>
    KdeSudo will now exit...

So I did a search on this and found that you can go into Session Management and change is to "Start with an empty session " under the Upon Login session.

This fixed the KDESUDO error AND the window decorations...something was hosed up and since it was restoring the previous session doing a restart was ineffective as it left me with the same settings/issues I had prior to reboot. This doesn't shed any light as to the root cause of the kdesudo/window decorations issue but at least it provides a workaround.

Problems #2 and #3 persist.

Comment

Originally posted by fw0804
      3) If I run sudo kate /etc/fstab (instead of kdesudo)
      runing sudo (any GUI app) instead of kdesudo is one of the quickest ways to hose your /home acct.

it can (and will) cause eney number of problems including and not limited to locking you out of your acct.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by fw0804
        Problems #2 and #3 persist.
        You will always see the output in a console when you launch a GUI application with kdesudo. It's normal and not to be worried about.

The errors reported when you lanched kate using sudo are also normal, but take note: DO NOT LAUNCH A GUI APPLICATION FROM THE CONSOLE USING SUDO. THAT IS THE SUREST WAY TO BORK YOUR SYSTEM!

When you launch and run a GUI application from the console using sudo, you risk changing ownership on files within your users /home directory to that of root - NOT A GOOD THING!

Do your self a favor and read the following:
        RootSudo
        Running Sudo Graphically

If you have to run a GUI application 'as root', then launch it using kdesudo. Doing so protects your users /home directory.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Cool thanks, I've seen people use gk/kdesudo in forums but never knew why. I thought it was just preference but thank you for providing that information.

Comment

Working...
          X