This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with composition

Hi everyone, I'm a Kubuntu Italian user and have just installed Maverick 10.10.
    But I've problems with desktop effects. At startup the composition is always disabled and I have to enable it manually.
    When I enable it, have problems, see the following screenshot:

It shouldn't be in that way...e.g. menu and bar should be transparent.

I have ATI HD 4650 video card, with ATI open source driver (I don't want to install catalyst driver).
    How can I enable desktop effects at startup and solve the composition problems in the screenshot?

Thanks...
    I'm an Italian user, sorry if my English is bad...

Re: Problems with composition

Possibly some of the information and links in this thread will help: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112973.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Possibly some of the information and links in this thread will help: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112973.0
      No, I've no "fatal X server error"...
      However, with Kubuntu 10.04 the composition worked well to me...

Comment

I had a very similar problem. link can be found here, http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115084.0. The way I fixed my problem was by navigating to, System Settings>Desktop Effects>[Advanced Tab]> 'Checked' "Disable functionality checks." in 10.4 it worked fine, but for some reason after I did this it worked okay. I also installed the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric KDE
          I had a very similar problem. link can be found here, http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115084.0. The way I fixed my problem was by navigating to, System Settings>Desktop Effects>[Advanced Tab]> 'Checked' "Disable functionality checks." in 10.4 it worked fine, but for some reason after I did this it worked okay. I also installed the proprietary driver.
          I can't...I'm in this strange situation:
          1) The composition is enabled with XRender now;
          2) In KWin a message tells me that "the effects aren't available for technical issues";
          3) In "effect list" tab, there are no effects!
          4) I can't disable the composition;
          5) If I change from XRender to OpenGL and give "apply", a massage tells me that "it's not possible activate the composition".
          See screenshot below...

Now I use composition with XRender, but it's too slow and I want to disable it. Unfortunately, I can't!
          Please, help me!
          Attached Files

Comment

After 'Checking' "Disable functionality Checks," have you rebooted?
            You could also try restarting kwin through the terminal:
            Code:
            kwin --replace
            This restarts kwin and may help.

what is you're output with this command:
            Code:
            glxinfo | grep -i direct
            Direct rendering should be: "YES"

Check here for detailed info, http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...ic=3113529.new

Comment

After 'Checking' "Disable functionality Checks," have you rebooted?
              You could also try restarting kwin through the terminal:
              Code:
              kwin --replace
              This restarts kwin and may help.
              Yes, I've rebooted.
              However, I've deleted ".kde/share/config/kwinrc" file and now I can enable/disable the composition, but with OpenGL I see like in the screenshot in the 1st post.

"kwin --replace" doesn't change the situation. The command returns that:
              Code:
              giuseppe@KubuntuToshiba:~$ kwin --replace
              kwin(1844) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL vendor is "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." 
              kwin(1844) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL renderer is "Mesa DRI R600 (RV730 9480) 20090101 TCL DRI2" 
              kwin(1844) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL version is "2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel" 
              kwin(1844) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: Detected driver "radeon" , version "20090101" 
              QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: File o directory non esistente
              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/giuseppe/.config/ibus/bus
              Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
              IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
              kwin(1844): OpenGL compositing self-check failed, disabling compositing. 
              kwin(1844) KWin::SceneOpenGL::selfCheckFinish: Compositing checks disabled, proceeding regardless of self-check failure.
              what is you're output with this command:
              Code:
              glxinfo | grep -i direct
              Direct rendering should be: "YES"
              Output is "Yes".

I'll try...

Comment

Giving
                Code:
                LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 kwin --replace
                the composition is enabled in the correct way with OpenGL.
                But, If I reboot, at startup it is not enabled...

Comment

try my suggestions on this thread

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114957.0

edit:: you also need to check the disable functionality check under advanced in system settings-> desktop effects (or they will be disabled on login).

you card is almost identical to mine, you also won't need the xorg-edgers ppa or properitary driver. the stock open ati driver is just fine unless you NEED opengl3 or 4 right now.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    try my suggestions on this thread
                    Done, but it's the same. The composition is like in the screenshot in the 1st post.

edit:: you also need to check the disable functionality check under advanced in system settings-> desktop effects (or they will be disabled on login).
                    No, disable functionality check doesn't solve my problem...

you card is almost identical to mine, you also won't need the xorg-edgers ppa or properitary driver. the stock open ati driver is just fine unless you NEED opengl3 or 4 right now.
                    Proprietary catalyst driver sucks on Linux. I never install them...

However, I resolve with "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 kwin --replace" command, but at startup the composition is disabled...
                    I have some errors after giving that command:
                    giuseppe@KubuntuToshiba:~$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 kwin --replace
                    kwin(1999) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL vendor is "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."
                    kwin(1999) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL renderer is "Mesa DRI R600 (RV730 9480) 20090101 TCL DRI2"
                    kwin(1999) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: GL version is "1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel)"
                    kwin(1999) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detectDriverAndVersion: Detected driver "radeon" , version "20090101"
                    kwin(1999): glCheckFramebufferStatus failed: "GL_NO_ERROR"
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: File o directory non esistente
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/giuseppe/.config/ibus/bus
                    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                    Please help me!

Comment

Nothing?

Comment

try this

alt + f2

'oxygen-settings'

and check that animations are enabled under 'widget style>animations' and that they are enabled under 'window decorations'

Comment

Originally posted by miasmablk
                          try this

alt + f2

'oxygen-settings'

and check that animations are enabled under 'widget style>animations' and that they are enabled under 'window decorations'
                          They're both enabled...
                          But I continue to see in this way: http://img338.imageshack.us/i/schermata1m.png/

Have I to surrender?

Comment

if you only issues is the panel is not transparentl try another widget theme, mabye the one your useing does not have transparency . do any of the other effects work like the minimaze or present windows .if they work your widget theme is just not transparent

edit:: please post your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc files contents.to be sure its correct.
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

if you only issues is the panel is not transparentl try another widget theme, mabye the one your useing does not have transparency . do any of the other effects work like the minimaze or present windows .if they work your widget theme is just not transparent
                              I have Aria, and it has transparency...the problem is not the widget, but Kwin.

edit:: please post your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc files contents.to be sure its correct.
                              kwinrc doesn't matter. I've installed Compiz and the composition works now.
                              So, the problem is KWin.

Kwin, another buggy KDE software...what's the surprise?
                              However, thanks to everyone for interesting to my issues...

Comment

Working...
                              X