This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't log in!!

sorry that directory above isn't correct, however it can't find the directory anyway, obviously because I rm'd it.

I have no clues at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by KrGAce

"Configuration file/home/me/krgace/.kde/share/config/knoifyrc not writable, contact your system administrator."
      That error suggests to me that you are doing something with Knotify "as root", or with "sudo", causing it to write into your user's .kde directory with root privileges. That is a sure way to lock yourself out of your KDE login.

You need to find exactly which file has root privileges attached to it, and delete it. In the terminal (as a user at your home directory), using
      Code:
      ls -la
      will list files and directories, and their permissions. You should see things that look like this:

Code:
      -rw------- 1 don don    692 Jan 27 08:05 .bash_history
      -rw-r--r-- 1 don don    220 Jan 26 10:10 .bash_logout
      -rw-r--r-- 1 don don   3187 Jan 26 10:10 .bashrc
      drwx------ 3 don don   4096 Jan 26 20:01 .cache
      drwxr-xr-x 10 don don   4096 Jan 26 20:35 .config
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 don don    16 Jan 26 10:37 CONFIG -> /mnt/DATA/CONFIG
      drwxr-xr-x 2 don don   4096 Jan 26 13:45 Conky
      -rw-r--r-- 1 don don    225 Jan 26 13:30 .conkyForecast.config
      drwx------ 3 don don   4096 Jan 26 10:02 .dbus
      drwxr-xr-x 2 don don   4096 Jan 26 17:52 Desktop
      with colors indicating the differences between normal files, hidden files, symlinks, and directories. At the top level, the hidden .kde directory should look like this:

Code:
      drwxr-xr-x 4 don don   4096 Jan 26 10:12 .kde
      So you need to change directory to .kde

Code:
      cd .kde
      and then again use
      Code:
      ls -la
      to look at the contents. All of the contents (and there are only a few) need to be owned by your user. Keep going, changing to the config subdirectory, and listing the files, and check them all. I think you're going to find one or more that has root ownership and permissions. You're going to need to use "sudo" and rm to remove it/them.

And then you need to figure out what you're doing with Knotify and "sudo" that is causing files to be written in .kde with root ownership.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the help, i find it's just rediculous that you have to go through this, just to get an upgraded desktop to work. People wonder why users get frustrated and go back to Windows. I have looked at my directory and I see only one directory that is owned by root and it's a back up of xorg.conf (another posting said to try). I also went into the .kde directory and it looked like all was owned by me, but again i am not quite sure what i am looking for.

This was working fine with KDE 4.5, and I thought wow....4.6 looks nice. Again, should have left things alone.

Comment

one more time......

Code:
          sudo mv /home/you/.kde /home/you/.kde.old
          you must use sudo if something in their is owned by root ......replace "you" with your user name.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

yeah I did that, still no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              See #10 on the FAQs in my signature. You probably used your home directory to install software as "sudo", and you'll have to follow the instructions to delete the .Xauthority and .ICEauthority files.
              and you did this one?

and you sead you tryed making a new user ........rite......what happened their?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yep, did that one too and the .Xauthority I assumed deleted because it came back to a prompt, however the ICE one said "it couldn't find the file, or there was no file. I double checked the spelling too and it was right.

Comment

you didn't say what happened when you tried to make a new acct.

but that wasn't you .....did you try that ?

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

no that wasn't me, but I can try that. If I remember the command is simply adduser username ??

Comment

yes

Code:
                      sudo adduser testuser1
                      VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Added user, same thing, back to login prompt.

-->Update-is it possible it has something to do with the restricted ATI video drivers I installed before the upgrade? Just a thought. I installed them because it is the only way I know of to get dual, spanning monitors to work.

Comment

yes it could lets try this

first check to see that the file system isent full with
                          Code:
                          df-h
                          if your not seen 96-100% on/ ore /home

then try at the grub screen to eddit the boot line and remove quiet splash and add vga=vesa

and boot the eddited line.

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

okay the / partition says it's 3% in use. right or wrong my home directory is under the / directory.

editing the grub as you said and hitting CTRL+X to boot i get..

vga=vesa is deprecated. Use set gfxpayload=text before linux command instead.

error:couldn't read file.
                            error:you need to load kernel first.

Press any key to continue..

Would it be easier or worth a try to re-install Kubuntu 10.10, do the updates, upgrade to KDE 4.6 and then do the video drivers? Again, just a thought..

I do appreciate all your help.

"G"

Comment

Most likely I've got the same problem, maybe I can add some information (though I don't have a solution yet). Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to upgrade to 4.6 from the kubuntu ppa repositories, and what do you know, yep, system messed up. I know, I know, early adopters...

So what's the problem? System boots nicely, kdm starts no prob, but when I log in, for a very short instance, a white window appears in the left corner (error message I suppose, but it's too fast to see anything), then the screen goes black annd returns to the kdm login. Tried moving my .kde and .kde4 directories (always a good bet when upgrading), no change. Checked the xorg logs, no errors there, also not when I disable kdm and run startx. When I look into /var/log/kdm.log , that's a different story. Apparently there's a problem connecting to dbus, so I suspect that's where the cause is to be found. Here's the log:
                              Code:
                              X.Org X Server 1.9.0
                              Release Date: 2010-08-20
                              X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
                              Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
                              Current Operating System: Linux TheMachine 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21 17:40:48 UTC 2011 i686
                              Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic root=UUID=84fe812c-1c95-4e2f-a370-a5194802c096 ro quiet splash
                              Build Date: 09 January 2011 12:14:58PM
                              xorg-server 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see [url]http://www.ubuntu.com/support[/url]) 
                              Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
                                  Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
                                  to make sure that you have the latest version.
                              Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                                  (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                                  (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                              (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 29 09:58:23 2011
                              (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
                              (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Serif,20,5,0,50,0'
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,50,0'
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,75,0'
                              klauncher(2155) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
                              kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
                              kdmgreet(2147)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server" 

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /tmp/1686760862/.config/ibus/bus
                              Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
                              IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
                              1 XSELINUXs still allocated at reset
                              SCREEN: 0 objects of 128 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              COLORMAP: 0 objects of 4 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              DEVICE: 0 objects of 16 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              CLIENT: 0 objects of 112 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              WINDOW: 0 objects of 44 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              PIXMAP: 1 objects of 84 bytes = 84 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              GC: 0 objects of 56 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              CURSOR: 0 objects of 4 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              CURSOR_BITS: 0 objects of 4 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              DBE_WINDOW: 0 objects of 12 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              GLYPH: 0 objects of 12 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              TOTAL: 1 objects, 84 bytes, 0 allocs
                              1 PIXMAPs still allocated at reset
                              PIXMAP: 1 objects of 84 bytes = 84 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              GC: 0 objects of 56 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              CURSOR: 0 objects of 4 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              CURSOR_BITS: 0 objects of 4 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              DBE_WINDOW: 0 objects of 12 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              GLYPH: 0 objects of 12 bytes = 0 total bytes 0 private allocs
                              TOTAL: 1 objects, 84 bytes, 0 allocs
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Serif,20,5,0,50,0'
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,50,0'
                              QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,75,0'
                              klauncher(2244) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
                              kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
                              kdmgreet(2236)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server" 

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /tmp/0313493386/.config/ibus/bus
                              Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
                              IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                              Still, when I check dbus seems to be running:
                              Code:
                              ~$ sudo service dbus status
                              dbus start/running, process 814
                              so why isn't it connecting? Any ideas? I'm running kubuntu 10.10, formerly with kde 4.5.1, now with 4.6.0.
                              I.

Comment

Ok, scratch that. Apparently, the 4.6 package was FUBAR, half of kde wasn't installed. Running sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop fixed everything for me
                                I.

Comment

Working...
                                X