This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Thanks to thast stupid Meerkat my system is FUBAR![SOLVED]

Linux, it's a great OS, but dang, I always draw the short straw. I've tried everything mentioned on here to fix the "login hangup" problem, nothing works for me, nothing at all, as far as I'm concerned, Linux should remove the 10.10 from there listed stable releases, seriously, now that I have no operating system, I guess I'm going to have to nuke it and start all over, maybe I'll get ubuntu instead of kubuntu. Wish I knew how to fix this, but I dare not ask for help on here cause I'll most likely get some GTFO response like I usually do when I ask for help.

BTW, if you can't tell, I'm INCREDIBLY frustrated and pissed off.
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: Thanks to thast stupid Meerkat my system is FUBAR!

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with Maverick. You will not get any GTFO responses here in KFN if you ask for help. But for any chance of qualified help, you will have to give us both information about your system and details as to what you have gone through.

It is almost certainly a video conflict or conflicts with your HDs and Optical Drive(s). But again, unless you provide the details, all you have done with this post is express frustration. No one here can help you when that is all you have provided.

So, give us a chance - that's what KFN is all about -- helping others.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well I'd just like to revert back to Lucid Lynx, is there a way I can revert back to that using the terminal?
      Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Not cleanly. You would be much better off just reformatting your partitions and reinstalling Lucid from a current LiveCD. You will still end up going through the 'upgrade' process of installed Lucid packages once Lucid is installed. You'll have some work ahead of you.

Comment

Well it finally loaded, the gui, I sat there and waited forever for it to load, even the terminal takes forever just to type something. I think I'm living in a vortex or something, I've had to type this text several times because for some reason it jumbles up the wrods when I type (i'm on my emergency laptop right now), plus, I think mky computer is telling me my CPU core tempurature is 1279.7 degrees, the following quote is from the terminal:

[ 1279.796727] CPU0: Core tempurature above threshold cpu clock throttled (total events = 3677)
          ike I sad lAn... And like I said, it takes forever for me to type anything in the teminal, i type one letter, then I have to wait a couple of minutes, then type another, then wait, ect..
          have no idea what the heck is g
          Also when I type "startx" it says:

Fatal server error:
          Server is already active for display
          If this is no longer running, remove /tmp/ .XO-lock
          and try agian.
          Any idea on what's going on

Comment

You definitely have something wrong. But whether it's the OS or your PC, or both, I can't tell. Do you have a LiveCD of Lucid, even an older one? I'd boot into it and check everything out. Eliminate any possibility that 'hardware/firmware' is the problem. If the LiveCD OS and desktop works as expected (even though, a bit slower), then we can rule out the PC, and work on the assumption that the upgrade to Maverick really did mess things up for you.

Comment

I have a live cd, but my computer isn't picking it up for some reason. This stuff is driving me nuts. I'm going to see if maybe there's some dust or something causing my computer to over heat tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience and help so far.

Comment

Ok, I feel like a tool, made a major noob mistake, I fogot that I had to go into the bios and change my boot option (facepalm ), when I boot from a disk, super mega ultra slow, just like from when I log into meerkat. It's weird though that this slowness only happened after upgrading to meerkat, btw, the live cd I used was Karmic.

Here's the specs on my computer:

Motherboard:
                ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Videocard:
                EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Fan:
                CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Processor:
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Ram:
                G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Hard Drive:
                Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Comment

I think the difficulty the KFN community is having is with quantifying "super mega ultra slow." It's entirely possible that the upgrade to meerkat has messed things up. Is there a lot of load on your CPU in meerkat (ctrl+esc)?

And, are you against the idea of backing up your files and re-installing lucid? Lucid is LTS for a reason, in my opinion. Then again, I just refuse to upgrade and only wait until I feel like doing a clean install.
                  Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                  Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                  Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Well rfakhrai, it takes about an hour for kubuntu to load after I login, and as I explained in previous posts (assuming you read all of them) when I type, even in the terminal, I type one letter, then I have to wait a minute, then another, then wait another minute, ect., does that describe "super mega ultra slow"? I mean seriously, read the whole thing before posting. I think it's a hardware problem, btw, I have several terrabytes of file stored on multiple devices, it's not like I'd be losing anything, I just get tired of having major problems once a year, this has happened with every OS I've had on every computer I've owned. I just have some bad mojo when it comes to computers I guess, same thing with me and cars, every car I've owned starts to have someserious mechanical problems after about a year, even though I take great care of them. Me and electronics just have a love hate relationship I guess.

Comment

Can you ssh into your machine from a different one? If so, does ssh act just as slowly?

Did you remove /tmp/.XO-lock?
                      Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
                        Can you ssh into your machine from a different one? If so, does ssh act just as slowly?

Did you remove /tmp/.XO-lock?
                        I niether know what ssh is, nor do I know how to remove "/tmp/.XO-lock", I'm still a bit new to all this terminal command stuff. I also blew all the dust out of my computer to no avail, still super slow.

Comment

I have an idea which may, or may not, help.

I am assuming that when you upgraded you retained your home directory?

After loggin in hit ctrl+esc and see what processes are hogging the most resources. If it's xorg, it might be caused by conflicts in your kde settings, if by upgrading to 10.10 you have moved up a few kde versions. It has been known.

If so, rename the hidden file /username/.kde. Don't delete it. Then logout and back in (or reboot if you wish). That any help?

Please also bear in mind that since the launch of 10.10 there must have been a couple of hundred program upgrades (including new kernels) which wont be on a new setup so installing them might also help. I'm also not sure about whether you are aware of ppa:kubuntu-ppa which will take your kde version to 4.5.5. My take on this is that until you have fully updated your system and satisfied yourself that there isn't a basic config problem you might be premature in wanting to go back

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                            I have an idea which may, or may not, help.

I am assuming that when you upgraded you retained your home directory?

After loggin in hit ctrl+esc and see what processes are hogging the most resources. If it's xorg, it might be caused by conflicts in your kde settings, if by upgrading to 10.10 you have moved up a few kde versions. It has been known.
                            Xorg was using some of the least amount of resources. I went from Lucid to Maverick, I don't think there were any between those, right? Unless I missed one somewheres lol.

If so, rename the hidden file /username/.kde. Don't delete it. Then logout and back in (or reboot if you wish). That any help?
                            What is the best way of renaming a file like that? I'm still new to some things in the terminal.

Please also bear in mind that since the launch of 10.10 there must have been a couple of hundred program upgrades (including new kernels) which wont be on a new setup so installing them might also help. I'm also not sure about whether you are aware of ppa:kubuntu-ppa which will take your kde version to 4.5.5. My take on this is that until you have fully updated your system and satisfied yourself that there isn't a basic config problem you might be premature in wanting to go back
                            How do I find this list of new kernals and if i have them?

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen

Xorg was using some of the least amount of resources. I went from Lucid to Maverick, I don't think there were any between those, right? Unless I missed one somewheres lol.

What is the best way of renaming a file like that? I'm still new to some things in the terminal.

How do I find this list of new kernals and if i have them?
                              Firstly the way in which you have "upgraded" from Lucid to Maverick makes quite a difference. If you have completely overwritten one with the other then much of what I have said won't apply. I have made the basic assumption that /home is separately housed and thus survived the upgrade.

Unless you installed a ppa (a personal package archive) to upgrade to the latest kde version whilst running lucid, you will I think have upgraded from kde 4.4.x to 4.5.1. There are structural differences between the 2, giving rise to the potential for problems - although it might be something completely different of course.

You don't need the command line to rename the file. Open your home directory in dolphin and simply select view/show hidden files. You will then see a whole load of files prefixed with a . and one of these will be .kde/share/config. It will probably be better to do that one rather than the whole .kde folder as the latter contains data relating to apps like kmail etc. Right click and rename it to give the folder (say) a .old suffix. Then logout/log back in or reboot. That process will create a new .kde/share/config folder which will result in a virgin desktop, but because you have only renamed the config file, your data relating to other apps will still be there, only reconfiguration of kde apps will be needed.

From a new install, you will only have 1 kernel. It's only during the course of updates that you get more. If you haven't updated 10.10 you will only have 1. If you dual-boot you will see the kernels in the grub menu, shown immediately after the BIOS post when you boot. If you don't hold down shift immediately after the BIOS post to display the grub menu.

You can use the package manager kpackagekit to update but the easiest and quickest way to do so is with the terminal.

Open the terminal (konsole) and enter

Code:
                              sudo apt-get update
                              Hit return then enter your password then return again
                              Watch the list of repositories fly by as they are updated.

Then
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                              Return
                              You will be presented with a list of upgradable packages, most likely 200-300 by now. Accept the invitation to upgrade and the packages will be downloaded and installed. It's finished when you see the command prompt <xxx>@<machine name>. You will probably see in your system tray a prompt to reboot as a new kernel will be amongst the updates.

Hopefully this will make things much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X