This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 dual boot won't

Bought a new HP Pavilion with Windows 7 factory installed. Installed MM 10.10, manually partitioning during the installation.

Now GRUB comes up, MM boots fine, but when I try to go to Windows, I get the following series of screens.

Windows is loading files ...

Very brief copyright Microsoft, but without the Windows logo

Console screen \windows\system32\reg.exe with message Operation completed successfully

Another console screen that flashes up and disappears too quickly to read/video record

Dialog box Startup Repair is checking your system for problems ... Attempting repairs

Startup Repair cannot repair this problem automatically (I check the don't send box)

Quickly replaced by an HP Screen - Welcome to Recovery Manager - HP's tool ... The option on here is System Recovery. However, since this looks like it will restore my machine to factory defaults, I choose not to do it. The only option from there is to exit and reboot the machine.

Since I know somebody is going to ask, here is the partition information.

Before:
    sda1 100 MB SYSTEM (boot)
    sda2 919 GB OS (NTFS, Windows 7)
    sda3 12 GB HP_RECOVERY

After
    sda1 100 MB SYSTEM (boot)
    sda2 919 GB Extended
    sda3 12 GB HP_RECOVERY
    Logical:
    sda5 150 GB ntfs OS (Windows 7)
    sda6 50 GB ntfs unallocated (keeping as spare if Windows gets hungry)
    sda7 150 GB ext4 /mnt/backups
    sda8 12 GB swap swap
    sda9 20 GB ext4 /
    sda10 30 GB ext4 home
    sda11 20 GB ext4 var
    sda12 30 GB ext4 usr/local
    sda13 510 GB ntfs multimedia

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

JimR

Re: Windows 7 dual boot won't

Did you use the Win 7 disk partition tool to shrink the Win 7 partition, or did you let the Kubuntu installer have its way with the hard drive?

Comment

I just let Kubuntu have its way. I'm guessing that it would have been a better idea to use some Win 7 tool first?

I did not notice such a tool in Windows, can you tell me where they hide it?

Fortunately, I have not done much more than install the OSes. If necessary, I can recover and redo everything, and the only loss will be my time.

Thanks,
      JimR

Comment

Originally posted by flaflashr

can you tell me where they hide it?
        That's a good question. I run Win 7 on a VM, and I just took a quick look, but I suspect because it's a VM and the "disk" is not real, I'm not seeing everything there is under Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Device Manager > Disk Drives > Properties. I don't use Win 7 on a real computer, only on the VM to run a couple of proprietary apps I need. I suspect Google might help you find it, too.

"They" say you need to use Win 7's partitioning tool to shrink the Windows partition, then use Gparted to make your Linux partitions. Since Windows is now hogging 2 or 3 primary partitions by default, I think you need to make an extended partition and put your OS and swap and any other needed partitions inside it as logical partitions.

Comment

you NTFS file system may have become corrupted by the shrinking process ......when this happens to me with XP I boot the XP cd and use the recovery console to run CHKDSK /P and all is well.

how you will do this without a cd I dont know but ntfsprogs can set the switch from in linux.

I find the best thing to do is after resizing the NTFS partition and adding the linux partitions is to boot windows once or twice to make sure all is well then install your linux .

and yes it's best to let windows 7 resize it if posable.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X