Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound goes and comes...randomly..?(KInda solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound goes and comes...randomly..?(KInda solved)

Hi i have a Toshiba Sattelite A665...and im running...Kubuntu 10.10 i have a problem...

THe sound works..and some times it doesnt...at all...like i can restart the computer or shut it down and wont work...and suddenly another day will work...

Any ideas ?? idk...it has a dolby advance audio (is a laptop) it works perfect on my windows 7...and usually works on kubuntu...but im having randomly some issues with it..any ideaas?

Re: Sound goes and comes...randomly..?

Start keeping a log as to what you were doing/did when the sound doesn't, or stops, working. This will help isolate possible triggering events/actions.

When you boot your laptop, do you always have the startup sound?
    When you shutdown your laptop, do you always have the shutdown sound?
    Is it only certain applications that don't play sound?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

okey...i have a dual boot windows 7 and kubuntu so...imagine i start kubuntu...turn on the computer and everything perfect....there is sound and when i turn it off also sound.

But now imagine i boot into windows 7...when i restart the computer to change to kubuntu..sometimes kubuntu wont have any sound...so i usually have to do a full shutdown because a restart wont work..to get the sound back on kubuntu.

Thats how usually works out...and thats what i've noticed since i installed kubuntu.

Is not a big deal problem..just bugs me...why sometimes wont work...cause i checked the channels and jockey drivers just in case...cause i remember when i was a noob with linux with kubuntu 9.04 you had to switch on the channels on the laptops.

I don't know...maybe some bugs with toshiba satellite A665..just hope with time and updates everything will work out fine. ^^

Comment

There is ROM in multiple places in modern computers (BIOS, graphics cards, memory DIMMs, hdd controllers, etc.). Apparently Win 7 is setting a bit somewhere in ROM, that leaves the sound chip initially unaccessible when Linux is first booted.

Try shutting down Win 7, and then powering off the computer. Then power it back on and boot Kubuntu. It may, or may not, make a difference in the sound chip availability.

Comment

Thanks dibl...that's what exactly im doing right now...cause i found it's the only workaround right now ^^ thanks anyways for the info pretty useful for future references

Comment

Working...
          X