Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] problem after upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10., no keyboard, can't login

Hello,
    just did upgrade from kubuntu 10.04 to 10.10.. after all done and reboot, when the login box shows up, my keyboard and laptop pad ( mouse ) dosn't work, (plugged in the usb mouse, it works sometimes) but never keyboard.
    Code:
    i went to recovery , the boot hung up when it says
    [  17.704053] EXT4-fs (sda9): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
    Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
    Done.
    Done.
    Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
    Done.
    stuck here. nothing works except ctrl+alt+del

how to fix this? if this is not fixable, how i can revert back to 10.04? .. ? i forget to backup my /home folder !

Re: problem after upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10., no keyboard, can't login

More than likely you can boot a LiveCD and mount your HD /home partition and then plug in a USB stick and save your HD /home to the USB stick.

You could have bad grub files on your HD. Here is one way to repair grub: chroot your HD partition from a LiveCD.

Boot a Kubuntu LiveCD, most likely the version you have installed.
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt <--- mounted existing Linux partition on the HD
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc <--- bind livecd proc & sys directories to replace hd linux dirs
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    and
    sudo chroot /mnt <---- switching to hd Linux partition as "working" Linux
    then
    update-grub <-- on the hd
    which restored the grub Maverick lines.
    then
    Ctrl+D to get out of chroot
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt
    and rebooted.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hi
      i did as you said, but nothings is changed, al i tried booting manually from grub command prompt, and stuck at the excat same line (Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ) ..
      so because of this line i lost keyboard and mouse ... and this not a grub problem i think ??

now since i can reach /home from livecd.. if i did a fresh install on another partion, can i copy/sync /home to my new installation so i can keep my settings and other stuff ?

if it help, i have ATI mobility radeon HD 5470 card .
      thanks for your help .

edit : while digging on the net, i'v found someone stuck at the same line and fixed it by repairing missing /sbin/initctl.. would this be the problem ?

Comment

hello again.
        after chrooted as you said, i reinstalled upstart. and it did some unpacking to many packages
        after that and reboot my system is up again running .. except that booting from recovery still stuck there .
        thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by avar
          hello again.
          after chrooted as you said, i reinstalled upstart. and it did some unpacking to many packages
          after that and reboot my system is up again running
          That's good!

.. except that booting from recovery still stuck there .
          thanks again.
          You lost me there. Booting from recovery means taking the second boot option below the default... that is, it gives you a blue and red console menu with several boot options. Is that what you mean? If so, you probably need to reinstall the main linux kernel and header and then update grub.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X