Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Broken - not related to upgrade, perhaps openssl problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Broken - not related to upgrade, perhaps openssl problem?

I am not exactly sure what happened...

My system was upgraded around the time of the Meerkat release, and once the upgrade completed, my wireless worked fine. This was using the kde network management and not WICD. But it worked, so I didn't want to bother with it.

This morning I booted up my machine and it went through its normal routine updating some packages [been away from the office for a week or so] and it asked me to reboot. Upon reboot, the wireless doesn't connect. It keeps telling me that it is configuring the interface, but it never connects. I am certain my authentication info is correct.

I checked the recently upgrade packages to find openssl was upgraded this morning and think that perhaps this may be the cause.

My wireless driver and hardware is functioning, as I can log onto a local unsecured network without any problems.

I guess my question is just to test the waters to see if anyone else has had trouble connecting to a secured network recently since upgrading any kubuntu packages?

Thanks for your help. If there is any more info I need to provide, please let me know.

Re: Wireless Broken - not related to upgrade, perhaps openssl problem?

It looks like a regression to a problem which occured in 2008 where the openssl-vulnkey upgrade asked for the password twice, which blocked the connection.

What does your daemon.log show?

IF you still have an open connection I'd use it in to install the apps with "wicd" in their names, and uninstall everything with "networkmanager" and "knm" in their names.

Use apt-get to install:
    python-urwid
    python-wicd
    wicd
    wicd-cli
    wicd-curses
    wicd-daemon
    wicd-gtk

The last four will give you the ability to make network connections from a console, even without KDE running.

Now, completely removed the following packages:
    network-manager
    knm-runtime
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Then, reboot and run
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    to remove all other apps dependent on network-manager.

Run wicd and see if it can show access points to log into. If it can, choose yours, add the necessary type and password info and connect.
    IF you get a "Bad Password" when wicd attempts to connect then not all of the KNetworkManager apps have been removed.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      What does your daemon.log show?
      Where would I find this?

Comment

KGear --> System --> KSystemLog
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for the help! I found daemon.log and I am posting several lives of what seems to be repeating. Any help? I would rather exhaust everything before trying to swap to wicd. Thanks!

Code:
          Nov 19 15:10:12 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant connection state: disconnected -> scanning
          Nov 19 15:10:14 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <warn> (wlan0): link timed out.
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch wpa_supplicant[1274]: Trying to associate with 00:0b:86:34:b1:40 (SSID='MyNet' freq=2462 MHz)
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant connection state: scanning -> associating
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch wpa_supplicant[1274]: Associated with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch wpa_supplicant[1274]: WPA: Failed to get master session key from EAPOL state machines
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch wpa_supplicant[1274]: WPA: Key handshake aborted
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant connection state: associating -> associated
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant connection state: associated -> 4-way handshake
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch NetworkManager[1122]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant connection state: 4-way handshake -> disconnected
          Nov 19 15:10:15 enoch wpa_supplicant[1274]: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

Comment

Open a konsole and enter:

kdesudo kate /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

Changed the contents to the following:

Code:
            [ifup]
            managed=true

[ifdown]
            managed=true

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Open a konsole and enter:

kdesudo kate /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

Changed the contents to the following:

Code:
              [ifup]
              managed=true

[ifdown]
              managed=true
              Just did this and it seems to be working.

my nm-system-settings.conf said:
              Code:
              [ifupdown]
              managed=false
              I commented those two lines out and added the two lines that you defined. Can you tell me what the difference I made was? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X