This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Major problems with Xorg and configuring

Well having got Kubuntu to boot finally I decided to have another go. I did a fresh install to clean up all the rubbish I had been playing with.

Initially it booted up bu my display would not set to the settings I wanted so I installed fglrx. I did an aticonfig --initial and rebooted, and his is where the problems started. It came up at a resolution which my monitor cannot handle. I booted another copy of Linux and edited the xorg.conf simply adding screen resolutions. Now it booted to the login screen ok, I entered my user and password and the initial splash screen came up with all the Icons coming into focus. The screen then went black (still at correct resolution etc) except for the mouse. Everything seemed to start and the start up sound played but still a black screen. If I ctrl-alt-del then it comes up with the Logout/Shutdown options window just fine (on a black background) and went back to the login screen which displays fine.

So where do I go from here? If only there had been a gui config I could have run prior to shutting down after the fglrx install where I could have set up the card and monitor to the correct values then I would probably still have a usable system, this is the way for example it works in Mandriva. I know I have a monitor which will not auto-configure which is why I need to set it manually, once set it works perfectly so I dont want to change it just because it wont do the auto-configure.

My xorg.conf I tried was
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen   0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	  "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	  "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	  "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver   "fglrx"
    	BusID    "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device   "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor  "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth   24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport  0 0
    		Depth   24
    		Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"  <===== I added this line after the aticonfig built this
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Can anyone suggest where I go from here?

Stuart

Re: Major problems with Xorg and configuring

Well I sorted the black screen. I had to edit kwinrc and change to compositing as disabled. It then comes up OK.

However next issue is that amdcccle wont start, something about a missing file or directory in .config to do with ibus?

Anyone?

Stuart

Comment

You need to capture the exact error message, and then google it to find what the cause and solution are.

To see it clearly, when the boot menu is showing with your OS highlighted, press "e", then cursor down to the kernel line, cursor to the end, and delete the "quiet" and "splash" options, then Ctrl-X to continue booting with no splash.

Comment

Originally posted by broadstairs
        Well I sorted the black screen. I had to edit kwinrc and change to compositing as disabled. It then comes up OK.

However next issue is that amdcccle wont start, something about a missing file or directory in .config to do with ibus?

Anyone?

Stuart
        Please mark this thread as SOLVED, as it was a question concerning Xorg. Return to your initial post, click the modify button, and add [SOLVED] to the subject.

Then create a new post for you amdcccle issue.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [Solved] Major problems with Xorg and configuring

The amdcccle issue has been raised separately.

Stuart

Comment

Working...
          X