This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Upgrade to 4.5.3 borked

Hello all, noob poster here so please be gentle. I have done a search.
    Ok,
    I started linux with KDE at the unfortunate time of the 4.0 release and have come back to the fold after distro hopping for the last couple of years including rolling releases like slack and arch.

I've been running a fresh 10.10 since release and applying daily updates on the default repos.

I started paying some interest in the KDE site recently and noticed the other day that 4.5.2 was out, and indeed now 4.5.3.
    I looked at http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.5.3 and added ppa:kubuntu-ppa as per the repo instructions.

Having added the repos I checked for updates and applied about 70 updates. It did warn me it was removing 4 apps. Now I don't know what they were but I think one may have been kde-base. Like a fool I agreed to proceed, thinking it might resolve itself. I checked for further updates and there were none. I checked sysstem settings - help and it said I was still on 4.5.1.

I thought maybe I needed a reboot to apply all changes and after logon screen the normal 5 KDE loading just did not appear. I dropped to tty1 and tried in vain some apt commands including apt-get check -f. No dice, totally borked and I have had to reinstall 10.10 from CD again. (I have /home separate partition so not too painful).

Anyway sorry for the verbose. My question is what have I done wrong - is there a problem with upgrading kubuntu using this ppa - are there some packages missing currently - or should I be doing something differently.

Second question is can I take a system snapshot somehow and get APT to rollback if things bork in future?

Many thanks for reading, appreciate any comments.

Re: Upgrade to 4.5.3 borked

This worked for me when my 4.5.3 upgrade borked:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7158#msg247158
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
      This worked for me when my 4.5.3 upgrade borked:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7158#msg247158
      Thanks dequire and to the respondee on your OP. I did try and update this post but I think the forums were down all weekend?
      I'm not going to get into a long negative attack at Kubuntu admins and PPA maintainers but let's just say I find it difficult to accept how these upgrade issues can be allowed to happen. The net is awash with people who have had the same problem.
      There is no use arguing that an upgrade is optional - it's available and advertised on Kubuntu.org - if there is a packaging problem then pull it or at least put a workaround or advisory up. I will wait a few days to see if this is resolved - if anyone has a successful upgrade from 4.5.1 to 4.5.3 in the meantime please post. Best regards.

Comment

I just updated from 4.5.1 to 4.5.3. I was actually on 4.5.2 when running Lucid but unknown to me on installing maverick I was taken back to 4.5.1. I suspect that that itself may have been the cause of a few issues I've been having of late.

I had a problem upgrading to 4.5.3 - perhaps bypassing 4.5.2 may have contributed, perhaps not. Anyway, you will have noted before you elected to upgrade that the system advised that certain packages would be removed, some of them containing plasma in their names. I think this may be as a result of structural changes. For whatever reason, the replacements for some of those packages were not picked up. On reboot I would up with a blank screen.

The solution was to do a console login and then type

Code:
        sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
        The required packages were then downloaded and installed and then I was back up and running.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Liquidator, I tried your solution first and that was all it needed.

Comment

Working...
          X