This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on "checking battery state" after latest update

I've been running Meerkat for a couple of weeks with sound problems, but otherwise my system has been OK. Last night I did the normal, recommended update. When I rebooted, my system hung on "checking battery state". A Google search revealed nothing recent on this problem. I've been reduced to running under Windows 7 to investigate this problem over the Net.

I'm surprised that no one else has reported problems with the latest update. The worst part of this problem is that there's no obvious way to get by it. At least, can someone tell me what my system is trying to do when it hangs?
    I emphasize that this is a new problem with Meerkat and related only to the update.

Re: Hang on "checking battery state" after latest update

I have the same problem. Any ideas ?

Comment

I saw that problem last night. If you "just walk away", it eventually will continue booting. I haven't had time to play with it today, but I ran updates after it booted last night, so it might have already been fixed.

EDIT: It boots perfectly now, and is fully update to KDE 4.5.3.

Yesterday morning, in a rushed update prior to heading to work, I got bitten by the packaging debacle, and so had a half-upgraded (and partially stripped) KDE system, which I think was why it hung on the "checking battery state". Obviously I wasn't reading the update message.

If I remember correctly, what I did last night (after it got past the boot stall) was

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      All indications today are that it is in good shape -- can't find anything wrong with it.

Code:
      don@meerkat:~$ sudo apt-cache policy kdm
      kdm:
       Installed: 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1
       Candidate: 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1
       Version table:
       *** 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1 0
          500 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         4:4.5.1-0ubuntu8 0
          500 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages

Comment

Stuck with gnome!

After all of that I still am stuck with the gnome desktop. I can't get my system to switch back to KDE. When I do sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm, I get a screen giving me the choice of default display manager. It is set to kde. But when I reboot -- it's gnome again!!

Comment

On the login "greeter", there is a tiny menu, and if you click it, it should let you choose KDE. Once you login that way, KDE should remain the default unless/until you log in to Gnome. Or that's how it used to be ... I haven't actually logged into a Gnome desktop in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            I saw that problem last night. If you "just walk away", it eventually will continue booting. I haven't had time to play with it today, but I ran updates after it booted last night, so it might have already been fixed.

EDIT: It boots perfectly now, and is fully update to KDE 4.5.3.

Yesterday morning, in a rushed update prior to heading to work, I got bitten by the packaging debacle, and so had a half-upgraded (and partially stripped) KDE system, which I think was why it hung on the "checking battery state". Obviously I wasn't reading the update message.

If I remember correctly, what I did last night (after it got past the boot stall) was

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
            Code:
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            All indications today are that it is in good shape -- can't find anything wrong with it.

Code:
            don@meerkat:~$ sudo apt-cache policy kdm
            kdm:
             Installed: 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1
             Candidate: 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1
             Version table:
             *** 4:4.5.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1 0
                500 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages
                100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
              4:4.5.1-0ubuntu8 0
                500 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages
            Thanks, dibl! I had 2 PC's borked on the 4.5.3 upgrade, stuck on the Kubuntu Splash Screen and on "Checking Battery State" if I <Esc>'d to verbose output. Running your fix cured both my main PC and my laptop. You da man

*note to self: wait 24 hours after a release, even a "safe" incremental one, before applying updates!*
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
            X