X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from Kubuntu 10.04 to 10.11: Keyboard and mouse lock at boot

Running Landmarq Intel Atom DC330 Desktop

I have just attempted to upgrade my desktop machine from Kubuntu 10.04 to Kubuntu 10.10.

I used KpackageKit to do the upgrade which proceeded smoothly until the install packages phase, which seemed to complete and then repeat. I don't know the detail of what happened as I was out of the room.

The repeat almost completed, but then I got a set of error messages, which basically told me that KpackageKit was unable to install the upgraded packages. I closed KpackageKit, and closed the machine and tried a reboot. This time, I got as far as the splash screen, but although the cursor flashes, I can't type anything in the password box. In addition, the mouse pointer won't move. Using a different wireless mouse works, but I still can't type in a password.

However, the command ctrl+alt+sysrq+RSEIUB works, so the machine is accepting some keyboard input.

I also know from using a live disc that my home directory is intact.

Ideally, I would like to revert to my 10.04 installation, and re-try an upgrade to 10.11 afterwards.

What should I do first?

Re: Upgrade from Kubuntu 10.04 to 10.11: Keyboard and mouse lock at boot

Argggghhhhh! Hung version upgrades are the pits --- no guarantees, but here's what I would do:

Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of X, log in at the console, and shut down X with
    Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    (Or, reboot "Recovery Console" and proceed.)

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean

Observe the messages, and good luck!

Comment

Running Ctrl + Alt + F1 doesn't get me a console; and as I can't type in a password I can't get to a recovery console any other way.

Is there anything I can do using a recovery disk to get at the boot menu, perhaps?

Comment

Is this a system that does not show you a boot menu? If so, there's a key combination that you can push during booting that will bring it up -- I think maybe Shift-Esc.

I copied this out of Qqmike's Grub 2 guide in the "How To" section of documentation:

To see or to hide the boot menu
        Look for this line in the file /etc/default/grub:
        # GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

With the # sign present, you will see the boot menu upon booting your PC.
        With the # removed, you will not see the boot menu.

For a detailed explanation of the other ways this works, see
        GRUB 2 Basics drs305
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
        I would encourage you to review Qqmike's guide -- especially section 3, which gives some information about using Super Grub Disk.

Comment

Yes, this is a system that won't show me a boot menu.

I've tried Shift + Esc, and I have altered my Grub file with the # where indicated, but I'm still not able to get a console login. I therefore still can't get beyond the password prompt.

Any more ideas?

Comment

Try holding down the shift key while its booting

Comment

Working...
            X