Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Flash player doesn't work fullscreen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Flash player doesn't work fullscreen?

Installed Kubuntu 10.10 i386 in the software computer VirtualBox. All good.

Then ran the Firefox installer in the menu; it installed Firefox.

In *full screen*, the problem is: the flash player, Adobe thing, only worked with huge jumps between images. So increased the sort of graphics memory of virtual box, like it lets you do in its GUI. But then the flash plugin crashes whenever fullscreen is clicked - the little icon at the bottom right of the video. In short: I cannot get fullscreen, it looks alright, the video, in small screen.

Putting on one side that Adobe ought to be killed does anyone have a remedy for this?
    Nothing improves the morale of a submarine more than good food.

Re: Flash player doesn't work fullscreen?

In my experience, fullscreen flash in linux has never been as smooth (fewest dropped frames) as its windows counterpart. You neglected to give us your system specs. Flash is relatively processor/GPU intensive.

This simple fix completely solved the crashing fullscreen issue. Maybe it works for you?
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks.

Code:
      /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
      is not exactly on my system. I've got ..libGLU.. and /usr/lib/mesa.. , but not exactly it.

I have no trouble with full screen flash in Debian Lenny in VirtualBox. It is purely a full screen problem, works perfectly well in quite large.

Comment

if that fix doesn't work for you, I'd recommend trying other versions of flash. you can download the archive for all the releases of v10 at adobe's website. unfortunately, unless the KFN community has made great strides since I last brought up this issue, we may not know of a way to fix it.

meanwhile, damn adobe to hell! >
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Adobe products are akin to virus's in my opinion. Also: my wife's Vista laptop and my daughters Win7 netbook both have totally jerky full screen flash (32bit version 10.). On my system the 64bit linux version is mostly smooth but I have much better specs than their units.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with it for now because I haven't found a suitable replacement that Hulu can use.

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? Right click on the video go to Setting and uncheck enable hardware acceleration. Some hardware/drivers have issue with it. My Desktop did.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next time I'm watching hulu.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by monte
                Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? Right click on the video go to Setting and uncheck enable hardware acceleration. Some hardware/drivers have issue with it. My Desktop did.
                Tried it and it worked, so I'll mark this solved. Great thanks. Edit: Disabled 3D acceleration in VirtualBox, perhaps that's a different thing. Re-enabled 3D acceleration in virtualbox, and disabled hardware acceleration in flash player. That worked too. So seems there are two ways of getting full screen.

Incidentally, should probably start another thread but the host uses a lot of CPU (using Kubuntu inside VirtualBox) using flash player inside vbox, typically around '100%' says 'top'. This is unusual - good quality amd64 twin core CPU, and 4G ram. Also flash player visibly struggles slightly, though still perfectly watchable. Same with Debian Lenny guest. Is this normal?

Comment

Working...
                X