This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> wireless access lost

Installed Maverick today (as upgrade), to HP Mini 110 netbook. Immediately after, I was unable to log onto my personal router. Can only achieve wired access. I use WICD (as I can make no sense of the default way of doing it in Kubuntu).

WICD complains about a "bad password", but that makes no sense. The password is correct. I've done nothing to the router, so it's expecting the same passward as always. I have no idea how to go forward in troubleshooting this. Nothing seems wrong, but it won't work.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Re: wireless access lost

its a common problem. and discussed many times in this forum.

There should be single network manager on ur machine. either nm or wicd.
    If you have installed wicd, remove the network-manager and its dependancies using any of muon/kpackagekit/synaptic package manager apps. and reboot.

Else u can completely removed the following packages:
    modemmanager
    network-manager
    network-manager-openconnect
    network-manager-openvpn
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-vpnc
    knm-runtime
    network-manager-kde
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement
    reboot and see if you can connect.
    (Thanks GG for this)
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Ah....I dimly recall this. Sorry that I can't follow the forum daily, but I have a demanding professional life that doesn't allow that. It's my problem that I continue to insist on using Linux, which I do love. Couldn't do it without this forum, though.

Now, if it's a "common problem", why in blazes does not the update process check for the presence of WICD, and if found, ask user for instructions? Seems like a simple notion...

Thanks for your speedy and helpful response.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
        Now, if it's a "common problem", why in blazes does not the update process check for the presence of WICD, and f found, ask user for instructions? Seems like a simple notion...
        I think many would like to ask that of the developers!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Originally posted by tomcloyd
          Now, if it's a "common problem", why in blazes does not the update process check for the presence of WICD, and f found, ask user for instructions? Seems like a simple notion...
          I think many would like to ask that of the developers!
          Showhog: thanks for the affirmation. In fact, there appear to be two problems, neither addressed (to my knowledge) in the 2 or so years I've been a Kubuntu devotee...

1. The default "Network manager" too often just doesn't work, out of the box. I've NEVER gotten it to work, and find it essentially inscrutable. It badly needs an embedded step-by-step process by means of which users can obtain the functionality it appears to offer. Or it needs to be replaced.

2. The apparent alternative for many people is wicd, which is far less inscrutible, and in my experience "just works" (gods be praised!). Apparently many of us install it and forget it. THEN, an update comes along, and suddenly it doesn't work...because network manager has been installed by the update and it effectively disables wicd. There is no warning about this.

The installer to issue a message like this:

Your system has Wicd installed. You cannot have two contending network managers. Please choose an option:
          1. do nothing
          2. remove wicd
          3. do not install the system default network manager
          I am severely time challenged for the foreseeable future, and cannot take the time to research how to communicate with the developers, or report a bug, or do whatever one must do to get this notion out of this forum and into the hands of the developers. Can anyone else do this - someone who knows how to handle this idea

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; wireless access lost

I agree the presence of wicd should prevent the re-installation of the kde networkmanager but it doesn't.

Weird enough some 2 years ago there was at least one upgrade where this was implemented.
            Some jealous developer must have objected.

Comment

Working...
            X